ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i realize that it was leaking so i took a short cut and bypass it.. but I'm in the process of buying another heater core used.

but my issue is how difficult is it to remove the old heater core..
i googled it saying can be access threw under steering wheel?
and how much factors are involved..

thanks guys lmk or a link with at least pictures involved and step by step..

thanks!! in advance.
i need my heater!!!!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
It only has three bolts holding it in. Two on each side at the top and one at the bottom right in the middle. I doubt it will come out without pulling the dash but I say give it a shot. If not pull the dash or loosen it so that the dash can move a bit forward. IIRC it also has a cable attached to it from the HVAC but its on the driver side and easy to disconnect. Also you have to unclamp it from the ac unit (black box) on the right side. That should be about it. It takes a mere 30 seconds to get off if the dash is out.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks bro yea i kinda figure that i would have to pull the dash -.- seems like alote of work pulling 2 dash out.

·
Supporting Member
1,724 Posts
Pulling the dash is simple. I do it almost every weekend.

·
Miata Master
2,138 Posts
1st question is what year is the car? If its an early car you will have to pull the dash unless you cut one of the outlets off. If you do so you can slide it out without removing the dash. If your getting a used one ask for one from a 99 Miata. That way the tube are a o-ring bolt on design and you can slide it in the housing and then add the pipes without removing the dash.
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=257800

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why are you getting a used core? It will just **** itself sooner rather than later and you'll have to do this again, definitely not the part to be a J on.

·
Supporting Member
1,724 Posts
****. Just don't replace. Loop the line. You don't need it anyways.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You can remove the old without pulling the dash. You just have to bend up the lines until it comes out. Dropping the steering column down helps. Just unplug the electrical connections on the column, pull the four bolts out, drop the column down about 4 inches or however far it goes. Unbolt the little clip things that hold that core in, and just jank on the thing until it comes out. It's broken anyway right? Then do like slideshow said and get one from a 99 or later. It fits just fine. A little tighter getting it in there, you'll have to jam a little harder, but it will be ok. Then attach the lines after the core is in.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, well its from a 95 to 95.. It is currently bypass running back to the engine. Just feels bettee have one working lol, plus brand new is around $300 and I finally have time due to busy at work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts