ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i know there are motorsport helmets and motorcycle helmets, but what are the main differences between the two and will track events allow the use of motorcycle helmets in a car ?

its rare to come across a motorsport helmet for cheap and i always see people getting rid of motorcycle helmets so i was hoping to buy one. is it plausible to ?

Scott

·
'Bout dat life
4,106 Posts
a used helmet is something i would avoid.
that old noggin of yours should be protected properly.

IIRC motorcycle helmets(M rated) are made for only a single impact, while automotive helmets(SA rated) can withstand multiple impacts(banging your head against a roll bar)

HJC and G-Force have SA2005 rated helmets for $250, which i must say is quite the bargain.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
http://www.smf.org/faqs.html#7

I'd stay away from used helmets as it's impossible to determine its condition from a simple external visual inspection. It might be perfect. Or it could've been knocked off the counter top onto the floor and suffered internal damage. SA rated helmets can be purchased for as low as $150. M rated helmets are allowed by some clubs who run HPDE although many don't allow it. You can avoid the entire hassle by purchasing a proper SA rated helmets. If you're doing HPDE I also recommend you purchase a HANS device. Spend less money on your car and more money on your personal safety equipment. Check out "Find me the best helmet for $150"

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a bunch guys ! this was the reponse i was looking for. i guess ill go on the prowl for a snell2005 sa rated helmet for this coming season.

·
Registered
244 Posts

IIRC motorcycle helmets(M rated) are made for only a single impact, while automotive helmets(SA rated) can withstand multiple impacts(banging your head against a roll bar)

HJC and G-Force have SA2005 rated helmets for $250, which i must say is quite the bargain.
Just to clarify...
NO helmet is good for multiple impacts. All helmet MFG's will say to replace the helmet as soon as you have a one accident. Anal racers will say to replace the helmet if you drop it. :D

The difference is in the testing.

M Rated = No roll bar impact testing, No Nomex requirement for fire safetely. Larger Viewing area and higher eye shield impact requirements (debris and so on)

SA Rated = Roll Bar Impact Testing, Nomex lined is required

That's basically the difference. Of course the helmet is good for 10 years from the rating date. So SA05 is good till 2015 :)

·
Registered
489 Posts

Just to clarify...
NO helmet is good for multiple impacts. All helmet MFG's will say to replace the helmet as soon as you have a one accident. Anal racers will say to replace the helmet if you drop it. :D

The difference is in the testing.

M Rated = No roll bar impact testing, No Nomex requirement for fire safetely. Larger Viewing area and higher eye shield impact requirements (debris and so on)

SA Rated = Roll Bar Impact Testing, Nomex lined is required

That's basically the difference. Of course the helmet is good for 10 years from the rating date. So SA05 is good till 2015 :)
I guess that's me.

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
Yeah most motorcycle helemets, at least full face have a slight upward angle if you put it flat on a table, as if you are wearing it you wouldnt be sitting in a seated position like you would in a car you would have a lot more weight on the wrists and a more leaning forward angle. For a car the vision is more narrow (top to bottom) as you look forward and nomex lining for fire protection.

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
My only suggestion when buying a helmet is that if you go cheap and the helmet is SA or M rated you dont have to worry about the safety standards so much, but fitment and ventillation is where you can really tell the difference between a cheap helmet and a better helmet.

Obviously there are some you pay for the name as well (Arai, Shoei, Bell, etc...) but with that "name" comes the comfort of knowing they will probably fit your head better overall.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My only suggestion when buying a helmet is that if you go cheap and the helmet is SA or M rated you dont have to worry about the safety standards so much, but fitment and ventillation is where you can really tell the difference between a cheap helmet and a better helmet.

Obviously there are some you pay for the name as well (Arai, Shoei, Bell, etc...) but with that "name" comes the comfort of knowing they will probably fit your head better overall.
100% agree there.

the only substantial difference I found between my friends hjc and arai was the arai was better ventilation design and the cheek material was slightly nicer.

I like AGV because it fits my head better. but again the arai was better vented. in a car to me it makes very little difference since you dont have direct airflow into the vents... full face are all hot to me.

I think the better the helmet fits the safer it is, rather than the price. look at motorcycle webpages for clearance or end of season sales and you can get helmets cheaper than invoice.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The main difference is M helmets are not fireproof and SA are. I use a M for autoX. Most clubs allow it. Much cheaper. I got mine for $100

1 - 14 of 14 Posts