ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do most peopel run open-faced or full helmets? I'm looking for a new one now (my first) and also want to try them on before buying them. i'll probably end up buying online bc the deals always seem to be better, but i figure it's a good idea to try them on first.

So what brick-n-mortar store sell SA2005 helmets?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've always run a closed face helmet. Some people may complain about the heat, the planets not being alligned, or whatever but they really are safer. It really depends on your preference.

I invest as much as I can afford when I buy a new helmet because you really do get what you pay for. I know they have the Snell rating system and all but the price of the helmet really does effect the quality (fit and finish) and the durability.

As for test fitting, try Sube Sports in Huntington Beach. They have a wide of brands and modles selection.

·
3,857 Posts
I thought the same but at the end the difference in price wasn't that great.
I got a half face helmet for about $50-60 bucks I think...
Per SCCA directions if the car has airbag it's safer to have a half face helmet.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
For auto-x I like open face helmets as they're easier to get on and off (especially with glasses), are less expensive, no worry about visor misting up or getting scratched. Also, no matter how wide the field of view is with a closed face helmet I always feel like I can see better with an open face. Often people get closed face helmets that are SA rated so they can also be used for both auto-x and track days.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
^^^ That's what I did, bought a full-face SA-rated helmet so that I can use it when I'm at VIR or whatever. Don't cheap out on it, it is your skull after all :)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
but i've read a few posts saying for airbag-equipped cars (like mine), i should get an open-face.

i plan on doing both autox and trackdays.

...so what should it be? full face or open? i'm confused...

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
The concern is about the potential risk if an airbag deploys. Competition cars do not have air bags because the driver is restrained by a much more effective harness system. In a road car that only has a 3-point belt it is not unreasonable to assume that a crash might occur while competing at an auto-x. Should your airbag deploy it could catch the leading edge of your closed-face helmet. The helmet could create an even greater moment arm (think leverage) than if the air bag made contact with just your bare chin. This in turn could increase risk of head and neck injury. As all motorsports are inherently risky only you can decide what risk level you're willing to accept.

·
3,857 Posts
but i've read a few posts saying for airbag-equipped cars (like mine), i should get an open-face.

i plan on doing both autox and trackdays.

...so what should it be? full face or open? i'm confused...
I did a track day last year with this helmet and no problems...
I got it open because it's safer with the airbag, otherwise the full face helmets look more cool IMHO.
One more -important- thing is that you communicate better with the instructor or your passenger when you wear an open face helmet (people can hear you better).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts