ClubRoadster.net banner

Help deciding on new tires for 15x8

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  mrvwcastner 
#1 ·
Well, I just picked up some Rota GT3's from a good man on Roadsterdrift and I'm now debating on what kind of tires and what size to put on them. I was thinking of 215's, but I'm not quite sure on what brand to go with. I'm sort of on a budget so I would want something a little inexpensive, but at the same time allow me some performance. Any suggestions? :D

edit - I would be using the tires for autocross and daily driving, I'm not cool enough to drift. =D>

#4 ·
Tire opinions are like a$$holes...everyone has one. :)
For eveyday street driving I have gotten good use from Toyo Proxes, Yoko ES100's, and a few others. Some will say those arent "good", but that depends if you use the tire in the way it was intended to be used so buying the correct tire is the key IMHO.
I am not a fan of Kuhmo 711 or 712s as they feel like wagon wheels on a Miata. Id go with a cheaper Toyo Proxes 4 before either of those, but thats me :)

#10 ·
All those tire sizes are too large for stock fenders and that type of wheel buddy.. 205 and 195, also either a 45 or 50 series tire.

Or get flares and run whatever size you want...
huh?

why do you say that?

225/45/15's will fit in stock fender wells all day long. obviously offset dependant, but something near a 40mm offset will be fine.

#13 ·
Bah, I was thinking about those Sportmax wheels everyone is buying. My mistake.

I still think 225 is too large.
I have 205's on my 15x6.5 M edition wheels, tuckin tire in the front, its real close to touching the fender, and im amazed they dont rub at all. Personally, I also wouldnt try the 225s.

they would probably fit ok with stock or slightly lowered height, but not if youre slammed.

Actually DropTop are those GT3's on your old NA? Youre probably talking from experience while Im just all speculation #-o

#14 ·
well, for performance sake, you wouldn't want to "slam" your car anyway. I did a lot of talking to Mazda engineers and doing a lot of math and testing in the last week about camber curves, ride hieght, and shock body length. If anyone is interested, shoot me a pm. I won't bore most of you here because I dount you care.

But I've run 225s on several miatas. If you are serious about power and performance, I can't think of any reason you wouldn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.