ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over @ Miata.net also, so sorry if you check both.

Hello all!

I have been reading and reading and thinking and thinking... making myself mad!

The subject- 1991 Mariner w/ Tein Flex 11.5" ride height. BEGi Series 3, making just under 250 RWHP. RB sway bar up front.

The use- I have a set of Diamond Racing wheels w/ hoosiers for HPDE and auto-x. These wheels are suitable for my track needs. There is a chance that my new setup may auto-x or HPDE at some point as a stopgap, but not their job. My Miata travels about 5K miles per year from mid April into Nov/December depending on when the salt trucks come out. I don't currently have a big brake setup, but with the foolish power and track time, it is inevitable.

The internal struggle- I really like the look of a wheel w/ a lip. I can't seem to warm up to other wheels on the car (things like ultraleggera's, etc). I am a fan of the look of a Panasport or Konig Rewind, however I really don't like the weight of either. It is important to me to have a lightweight wheel. In fact, it is more important for me to have a lightweight wheel than a pretty wheel. I would like to have both if possible. I am lukewarm to the look of the RP-F1, better than the flush wheels, not as good as a nice lip wheel.

The other stuff- I want to stay in the low 200's per wheel. This eliminates all the exotic JDM stuff as far as I can tell (Watanabes and buddy club), leaving me staring at the Enkei again. I think that a 16" wheel is in order to give me the options for a big brake kit, but I understand that some BBK's will work with some 15's.... confusing.

Anyway, I tried to give as much information as I can, sorry for rambling.

If anyone has suggestions of wheels that better meet what I am seeking, I am open to them. I have a feeling that the RP-F1 will look better in person than in pictures.

For some strange reason, 15" wheels started to look too small to me after seeing a bunch of wheels. I know with my ultralow setup, it would be less noticeable, so I am certainly open to a 15" option as well.

I also like the idea of 8" wide light options, as it would be cool to have the option of running 235's with all of my power.

Thanks for reading!

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
My 15" 002's look really big when the car is lowered a little. As far as weight, yeah, they're a bit on the portly side when it comes to that, but that's why I'll have another set for track duty. Most big brake setup for NA Miatas, from what I've researched, will clear 15"s well.

·
Registered
459 Posts
i personally like some SSR's reverse mesh type or the enkei mesh... try 16s. if you like new wheels, ASA has pretty decent looking wheels that are somewhat light and cheap... check out tirerack.com for some new wheels...bbs, enkei, volks, etc.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
cheap, lippage (low offset), and lightweight

Thats a hard list when looking for a wheel. Anything with a lip most likely will be around 15 pounds (sportmax 002, rewinds, RB)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts