ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to put this.

Last night I moved the passenger seat up to get some papers that fell behind it. And I found this crazy device!!! It was raining and I had no time to trace where it was wired to or anything.

It lights up when the ignition is ON, and/or the car is running. There are switches on the back that correspond to the lights in the front of it. All the switches that are down, the lights are off. The switches that are up, the lights are on.

What could it be?! My car has no alarm that I am aware of, it's completely stock other than an intake kit. I think maybe the door speakers are aftermarket, and I have a head unit as well but it's pretty old.

I want to tinker with it so bad but I'm stuck at work right now. Make a guess! Part of the speaker system? Alarm? Some ghetto performance mod? Flux capacitor?!?!?!?! :woolery:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I know of! The engine bay is very clean and it has the original 1.8L that runs like a top right now. Wiring harness and all that stuff looks unmodified but I'm really not an expert on Miata's (yet) :).

I'm scared to flip the switches and change the lights. What if my car explodes?!!??! (joking...somewhat...)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SWEET! That's it! Thanks man, I was Googling like crazy looking for an answer. And now I even know how to use it. Time to check my timing and make sure everything is in order!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed. I feel like I'm playing with voodoo magic flipping switches on this thing haha. I've been reading a lot in the archives here and other places about how most people use it on naturally aspirated 1.8L's.

I feel like I can safely run maybe 18 degree timing in the winter on 89 octane with maybe 4-6 degrees pulled out on the top end. Possibly more but I won't push it too hard.

I drove the car 14.5 hours straight when I first bought it a bit ago and never once had it ping on me. That was in pretty warm weather too. Engine felt strong all the way past 100MPH, and it's got a fresh timing belt and water pump and all that good stuff. Doesn't drip a drop of anything. I'm very excited to tinker with a car that isn't falling apart for once.

·
Registered
645 Posts
does this little toy give the 1.8 more power?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apparently (if you set it up right) it allows you to advance your timing for more low/mid end power without losing all of your top end. Ideally, you'll get more power across the board but you might need to run a higher octane gasoline. Detonation still needs to be considered/accounted for.

·
Registered
73 Posts
More power? I'm not sure as I bought my miata already turboed and it had the bipes in it. I'm only allowed to run 93 through it, as this is what my miata is setup for.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yo, I'm the previous owner of that car. I had installed the bipes in hopes of turboing. FYI, it's not connected to the CAS (it's unplugged) so it won't do anything until you connect it. I forgot to remove it so I could sell it. Oh well, my loss is your gain!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts