OK Here is what I have in my plans:
Hot projects
1)TDR A/A IC
2)PWR 37mm radiator+160F Thermostat
3)Sound deadening material
4)GC Coilovers
5)Roll the Fenders+Install 215/45/16 Wheels
6)Boss Frog Double Hoop MAXX Roll Bar
7)Hard top? (If yes I have to reconsider the rollbar since it doesn't fit with the MAXX version)
8)Change my brand new SPEC2 clutch with a ACT Xtreme and send the SPEC clutch back to the company for failure analysis and a replacement part (if I'm lucky)
9)Reinstallation of my butterfly (whenever FM decides to call me back)

Future
10)Navigation system
Far future
11)Radar Swifter system+Radar+Laser Detector

OK I currently have (1)+(2)+(3) sitting in my garage and if 18racing is correct (I really want to believe that) (5) would also be here in a couple of days...

The drift even is on the 9 of September and I only have two weekends #-o

What should I do?
I'm thinking to put (1) and (2) in place this weekend since these are 100% important for the health of my miata...

Then I'll have only one weekend, what should I choose?
Roll bar? Coilovers? Clutch job?
(Btw I don't yell at FM - even thought they are ignoring me because I have to change the clutch before installing the new butterfly)

See less See more
G
#2 ·
1)TDR A/A IC

Whatever...hope it does what you expect.

2)PWR 37mm radiator+160F Thermostat

Do coolant reroute too to even out head temps.

3)Sound deadening material

Put sound deadening very last! It's a convertible :p

4)GC Coilovers

Wait until you can afford real coilovers. If you buy the GC kit you won't be happy and that's $400 you'll never get back.

8)Change my brand new SPEC2 clutch with a ACT Xtreme and send the SPEC clutch back to the company for failure analysis and a replacement part (if I'm lucky)

PM me re: ACT prices.

9)Reinstallation of my butterfly

After your "experience" I think we should plan not to run the butterfly center section on the streets of LA, only the 2 side sections and 2 frame rails. Only run the center piece on track days.

Future
10)Navigation system
Far future
11)Radar Swifter system+Radar+Laser Detector

Where's:

- coolant reroute (will make more cooling difference than new radiator...)
- extractor hood
- widebody kit
- big brake kit

#3 ·
I spent almost 2 hours educating myself after your email :)

I PMed you about the coilovers :) ...now about the coolant reroute I have no objection that it would be a good idea but, has anyone ever implemented that without removing the engine?
Where I supposed to connect the rear of the engine coolant with the rad?
I remember that Mr.Woolery explained to me how it works and it does make sense but how I can do it?

#4 ·
OK the GC coilovers won with 4 over 1 :)
I just ordered them with custom springs (425-300) from Ground Control (here in Cali) and it would be $440 shipped (yes I had to pay $30 tax :( )

#5 ·
I've heard from many people that the GC + adjustable Konis or KYBs are really awesome. Why all the hate?

#7 ·
IIRC I paid around $400 for the KONIs+$440 so the price hasn't change so much...
I also paid $225 for the Chikara mounts and bump stops...

I have no opinion regarding the Teins but to my eyes the KONI is one of the best Shock manufacturer...and I know many people that are quite happy with them!

BTW They also have an awesome warranty which I already used one time and I might use again!

#8 ·
I think you made the right choice. The Teins are not a good alternative as thier limited adjustment curves aren't woth the money IMO. The Koni yellows are a good damper and should accomidate the spring rates you ordered. I think what you bought is a good cost effective option. In order to get something significantly better, you'd need to spend about $1500 +...

#9 ·
I've heard from many people that the GC + adjustable Konis or KYBs are really awesome. Why all the hate?
really awesome.... 5 years ago :) Koni+GC is ~$850. In that price range, the short-bodied Tein SS is the better choice IMHO.

The KYB is best w/ stock springs.
But Super Streets are about adjustable as a piece of wood. I want effective, not JDM. Tein SS are extremely generic coil-overs with green paint.

#11 ·
Guys let's not transform this to "which coilovers are the best" thread :)

Going back to my projects
I'm planning to install the TRD IC and new Rad today after work...which means that I won't have a car tomorrow :)

#13 ·
OK I just ordered my roll bar!

$715 ...that hurts #-o
And imagine that I got the black version!
So black version+windblocker+Pad and vinyl cover+shipping...and yes for one more time I'm broke #-o

$1155 in less than 12 hours #-o #-o #-o

The last three weeks I spent

$1200 for the TDR IC #-o
$440 for the PWR Rad #-o

It seems that I need a wife to control my salary :mrgreen:

#14 ·
Matt [exz3owner said:
@ Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:41 pm]no he's not.

16 clicks doesn't mean anything. the adjustment range is really really small from my experience.
I am just glad someone agreed with me for once. 8)

#15 ·
Today I left from work early in order to put the TDR IC.
I thought that it would be a 30min but Dow #-o the installation has many steps!

Around 8:30 I realized (with the car on jack stands and w/o rad) that I got wrong blade-disks for my dremel...
#-o
Thank god my roommate arrived 10 min latter and he gave me a ride to home depot. =D>

Then I came back and I moved directly to step 3 (trim the front upper brace of the car) in order to avoid making grinding noises at night... believe it or not for 40min I was cutting and cutting...
Now it's 10:30 and I'm so tired !!! :?

#16 ·
Update:GC coming - ROTA no answer - BFDH ordered - TDR+Rad still working on them

Suspension
->I called Ground Control today and they told me that I'll have the coilovers on friday, is anybody willing to help me with the installation? :roll:

Roll Bar
->They called me from Go-Miata they placed my order and they wanted to confirm that I don't have a hard top (since the MAX version doesn't fit with HT)

Wheels
->I called two times today the 18Racing but no answer...I'm very familiar with this kind of behavior from them :evil:
So probably no wheels for the weekend... :cry:

Butterfly
Still no news from FM regarding my BT...

Current Projects
2nd Day of installation of the TDR IC

The installation continues...feel free to call me slow but it's the second day and it's still not installed!!!
Today I worked from 6:30 to 1:30 am (believe it or not w/o breaks!) so that's 7 hours...
MY hands are in pain :oops: :roll: from drilling cutting torquing and sticking in them in tight areas :mrgreen: .
Until now I'm very impressed from the level of detail and the amazing effort to achive optimum performance (you have to install one of these to understand what I mean).

Anyway now the IC is in the mouth but I have to take out to bend the PS tubes and then put it back in...

BTW I was very lucky that I kept the side brackets from my old original radiator before throwing it away (3 months ago)...

FYI Now I'm in step 8 out of the 13 steps and I also have to change the thermostat (I'll put 180F) and install the new rad...

I'm going to sleep now , since tomorrow I'll have to wake up at 7:30...yeah I still have 5 hours of sleep so I consider myself lucky :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.