ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered that my airbag module is busted, and its going to cost a lot of $$$ to get a new one....so i thought i'd just get a new seat harness and a steering wheel...i dont have any experience in any of these, and i looked online, but theres too much info about all the hub and wheels that i cant make up my mind.

I've read that i can adjust my current seat belts to make them no-airbag compatible, anyone tried this?

Now for the really confusing part, i want a cheap hub, but good suede or alcantara wheel...any tips/ opinions?

·
Registered
214 Posts
You cut the stitching off of the folded cloth piece near the bottom on the seat belt; this isn't adjusting it as it is more so a permanent thing done that cannot be undone; (easily?)

Cheap hub? ebay

Momo, makes a lot of suede/alcantara.

·
Super Moderator
2,711 Posts
I believe Andy has done the seat belt mod, and it is indeed just cutting out the stitching in the "expansion zone" of the seat belt. You have to be very careful to not cut into the seat belt, but otherwise its definitely doable with a little patience.

This is not reversible, so if you go back to a functioning airbag system you will want to swap back in a airbag system seat belt.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I believe Andy has done the seat belt mod, and it is indeed just cutting out the stitching in the "expansion zone" of the seat belt. You have to be very careful to not cut into the seat belt, but otherwise its definitely doable with a little patience.

This is not reversible, so if you go back to a functioning airbag system you will want to swap back in a airbag system seat belt.
Get a razor blade, stick it in between and go at it... it's very annoying and leaves a lot of fibers everywhere. Once you get enough off and if you're strong enough, you can pull some off.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't get a "cheap" hub or wheel. You will hate yourself when it fails you. [/URL]
Why would it fail me? its a hub that connects to pieces together, and thats it

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
i have seen more than one ebay steering wheel hub adapter fail under normal driving conditions...they are made out of shitty metal and the constant rotational stress is just too much for them.

Had a buddy with an NA6 sheer his ebay hub off on the highway going 75mph while we were convoying back from Miatapalooza. He almost crashed his car into a ditch.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
A real quality hub + steering wheel combo will let brace yourself as you get in and out of your car like an old man (Like I do) - without flexing or moving around.

Daikei is good, Splash is good, Momo makes good hubs as well as Nardi.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Daikei is good, Splash is good, Momo makes good hubs as well as Nardi.
I dont want to install a hub that would require permanent modification - as in the momo hub instructions posted on m.net

Anyone have a good place to get the wheels from? It seems like most sponsors here dont sell the ones im looking for.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Project G sells daikei hubs and those allow you to install them with your clock spring still installed.
I also went though Project G and got my daikei hub on Tuesday. It does not require any modification. Rev did a write up on it. http://revlimiter.net/blog/2013/11/nb-steering-wheel-install/

Don't get a "cheap" hub or wheel. You will hate yourself when it fails you. Also, here's 82 pages of tips/opinions. http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/21-interior-sponsored-rev9-autosport/173-steering-wheel-pics-who-has-what-why.html
^ This is a great thread. I had narrowed it down to two momo wheels. After reading this thread I was dead set on a Personal Wheels.... which should arrive tomorrow!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I dont want to install a hub that would require permanent modification - as in the momo hub instructions posted on m.net

Anyone have a good place to get the wheels from? It seems like most sponsors here dont sell the ones im looking for.
Check out LTB Autosports in Rockledge. That's in your neighborhood. They have MOMO and Sparco wheels, hubs, etc.

www.ltbautosports.com

·
Registered
697 Posts
And this is why you don't buy cheap **** especially steering wheels. So wtf would you skimp on the damn hub.

·
Super Moderator
6,599 Posts
Holy **** I just posted a picture of that guy by looking up gangsta lean images...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts