ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short: last auto-x I attended, the car basically was plowing through a few turns. I'm racing in another event on the 26th so I'm trying to take care of this problem. Here's the specs on my car/suspension:

-1990 N/A
-Megan ez streets
-Ride height turns out to be 1/2" lower in rear. Was even all around at first but I guess it settled weirdly. (roughly 4" ground > pinch weld)
-stock daisy wheels on 185 Kumho Ecsta ("platinum" bullshits with like 600 treadwear)

Car had pretty bad unstersteer on stock suspension as well. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
638 Posts
front swaybar came undone? does it lean like a mofo during turnin?

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Want my honest advice?

If you're understeering, you're driving wrong. Try going slower through the turns and focusing on your driving lines. Not saying you're a bad driver but you're trying to overdrive your setup. Finish all your braking before starting your turn!

Are your shocks dampening adjustable?

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Even though the tires may be econo freeway haulers and a 200 tread wear ST tire would be more ideal the same principles are going to apply only at different levels. You're likely just overwhelming and overusing what little grip you have. The stiffer Megan EZ's are also adding to the overwhelming your tires equation.

Sometimes faster driving may actually feel less dramatic. Your contact patch is very small with those 185 Kumhos. You can only ask so much of them at any one time (brake, accel, turning). There's alot to learn on all seasons and while it may be frustrating you just might have to adapt your driving. My guess is a. too aggressive (asking too many tasks of the tires simultaneously b. suspension is not compliant enough for the small grip you have. Also what's your alignment look like?

Start from there. Or pick up new uhp summer tires in which case the same theories would apply at raised levels.

·
Registered
930 Posts
do yourself a favor and fix your ride height then get a good alignment. then see how it is. no miata that is sitting like an 88 accord with blown rear shocks and 6 people in it will handle good.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
what the guy above me said. Reverse rake is your enemy. Either even it out or make the rear up to a half inch higher than the front. Then proceed to get a performance alignment and work from there

·
Registered
261 Posts
When I had off brand drift tires on my car 175/60/14 the tires sidewalls would flex before the bilsteins moved.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've done a good handful this year - maybe 4 or 5?

I forgot to mention that a local autoxer suggested full stiff up front and half stiff in the rear, which is what it's set up at right now.

It's completely possible that my driving skill needs some honing (I'm no where near any good lol). No, my setup isn't riding like an old Accord blah blah blah with six people in it lol. It's literally only half an inch lower, which was unintentional. When I get some 15x7's I'm going to fix up the height and get a good alignment...but for now I'm just going to deal with it. It looks even until you pull out the measuring tape anyways.

·
red?
1,239 Posts
My vote is for technique. I also thought my car had a bad understeer problem when I was learning AX on my stock setup. It was just how I was driving.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Its technique. I've been at it for a year now and fortunately have had a really good teacher.

Don't overdrive the car and it'll get better. Remember: slow in, fast out. You want to try your hardest to maintain good momentum through turns. If that means you have to give up more on the entrance, then do it!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Even though the tires may be econo freeway haulers and a 200 tread wear ST tire would be more ideal the same principles are going to apply only at different levels. You're likely just overwhelming and overusing what little grip you have. The stiffer Megan EZ's are also adding to the overwhelming your tires equation.

Sometimes faster driving may actually feel less dramatic. Your contact patch is very small with those 185 Kumhos. You can only ask so much of them at any one time (brake, accel, turning). There's alot to learn on all seasons and while it may be frustrating you just might have to adapt your driving. My guess is a. too aggressive (asking too many tasks of the tires simultaneously b. suspension is not compliant enough for the small grip you have. Also what's your alignment look like?

Start from there. Or pick up new uhp summer tires in which case the same theories would apply at raised levels.
listen to that^ Technique and tires is what you need. Finish braking going into the turns before you start steering, steer into the turn and drop the hammer a bit earlier to "help" the car to rotate the rear (adjust so you are not drifting or you will be slower) I had the same problem on stock suspension and some nice 205 tires my problem was that I was too aggressive and the massive body-roll from the stock suspension was not helping. I apply the "in slow- out fast" way and I had almost a full second improve ......

and get some real tires.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
A few guys here have already said it. But you're not going to be able to drive faster than the capability of your tires. So the best first step is better tires even if they're 195 width. Then height change and alignment. You've done a few events already so you're learning with each event so you don't need to worry about that. But mechanically, that's what I would say

·
Registered
658 Posts
good suspension geometry is when the control arms are close to horizontal. Try not to go for low look if you want handling, also it helps to have the back slightly higher.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts