ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm experiencing the same exact thing this guy is experiencing.
When I'm in gear coasting it chatters up a storm in between certain RPM intervals just like in the vid and what he says in the description.
I can't seem to find out what the problem is or how to fix it.
Anybody know anything?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSPnue9kbNg

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Flywheel chatter. It gets even worse with an aftermarket unit. Even the stock units don't have a lot of mass to them to quiet/dampen crank vibrations.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flywheel chatter. It gets even worse with an aftermarket unit. Even the stock units don't have a lot of mass to them to quiet/dampen crank vibrations.
So this problem is inevitable?
There is no fix?
It is quite the nuisance. It only stops when I am out of gear or if i push on the throttle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Most likely your throw out bearing might be time for a new one my car is the same way ad it goes away when I push in the clutch

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most likely your throw out bearing might be time for a new one my car is the same way ad it goes away when I push in the clutch
I think we are talking about different issues.
Mine rattles when i coast while being in high rpms as the rpms go down.
It chatters a little bit even when the car is in idle but it is very subtle.
But once push in the throttle whether the clutch is engaged or not the chatter stops.
It only chatters when the engine is in idle i guess.
But yeah when I'm at a stand still it doesnt matter whether or not the clutch is in or out, it still chatters.
Sounds like metal on metal.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Just pretend you have a Ducati Dry clutch and all is fine...

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think we are talking about different issues.
Mine rattles when i coast while being in high rpms as the rpms go down.
It chatters a little bit even when the car is in idle but it is very subtle.
But once push in the throttle whether the clutch is engaged or not the chatter stops.
It only chatters when the engine is in idle i guess.
But yeah when I'm at a stand still it doesnt matter whether or not the clutch is in or out, it still chatters.
Sounds like metal on metal.
To be more constructive. I got the EXACT same problems when i went to a lightweight F1 Chromoly Flywheel & 6 puck clutch.

Buddy that runs a shop also thinks the transmission is going bad, but it's been like this for 2 years since i've had it done and no issues gear wise.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i had no chatter when it was stock clutch and flywheel.
as soon as i went with the exedy "stage 1" clutch and 10lb flywheel, the chatter begun.
it's gone 30k miles and no issues, so it's normal (like many others have said)

it sounds a lot louder inside the car than it actually is but i was worried at first too and did a bunch of research.

the lighter the flywheel, the louder the chatter. great relationship :fp:
but no big deal. its all gravy yo!

·
Registered
278 Posts
My car's made the noise since I bought it. My buddy's '91 makes the same noise. My other buddy's '93 makes the same noise.

None of us have had any issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts