ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: Bought a 95 miata that wouldn't start, it read CEL code 4 when I purchased it (sgc sensor). I replaced the cam angle sensor and it started with no problems but idled high and leaked oil, water temp wasn't working and i didn't want to deal with it an engine that sat for so long.

I bought an engine from a running 1996 miata. I started it multiple times before pulling it and it started up perfectly and it ran great. I installed the 96 engine into the 95 miata and now it wont start.

First, is there any issues putting an obdII 96 1.8 motor into a 95 1.8 car? The only thing I know of is the lack of crank angle sensor but i just leave that unplugged right?

I checked:
Fuel pump and replaced it for safe measure
the fuel line before the intake manifold is building pressure
The car is getting spark (it ran when checked running carb cleaner into the intake)
ECU is getting 12v power
I jumped the ten and ground it doesn't have any fault codes stored
I unplugged the maf to check the ECU and it read code 10 (maf error)

any suggestions?

is there an easy way to check if the injectors are firing?
or anything else that would cause no fuel (not 100% sure if thats whats wrong but so far its my best guess)

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you using the engine harness from the 96? If so, that could be your problem right there, I would go back and use the engine harness from the 95, and make sure its grounded properly over by the egr valve.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Which coil pack are you using? 94-95 and 96-97 using different coil pack.
94-95 have 3 wire while the other have 4 wire.it won't fire up if you mismatch it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts