ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
backing into my driveway last night, my clutch went out. Checked the fluid, it was low, filled it, and it's functioning again. Which is good, but why would it just run out like that?

It hasn't been slipping at all, I don't drive the car in a manner that would break it. What's it doing? I wish I knew more about clutches, so I could take it apart and see, but I don't. :(

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not when full, but I first noticed when I couldn't pull it out of reverse gear. Slave cylinder sounds like the culprit. Are they ridiculously expensive/hard to install?

<----clutch n00b

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
new slave cylinder is around $40

easy to install, you just have to bleed your clutch (just like bleeding your brakes) once you have it installed. look in the garage section on miata.net for some repair walk throughs.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The guys above are correct if it is the slave cylinder. If you decide to attack it yourself. Lift the car up as high as possible(Jack Stands) because you will have to get under the car to remove the lower 12mm bolt from the cylinder body with a wrench(very tight). The top 12mm bolt can be reached with a long extension & socket from the top. I first loosen the pipe union nut, then I also loosen the 10mm bolt that is holding the line that is just above the slave cylinder body to make it easier to work with. You will need the following 8mm wrench(bleed valve), 10mm wrench(pipe union), 12mm wrench (lower slave bolt),12mm socket & extension(upper slave bolt). 10mm socket & extension (Fluid line). Safety glasses & rags. DIY vacuum pump & Brake fluid. I just did one last week on a customers car & remember common sense & safety first.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts