ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

started making this sound, its coming from the supercharger not the engine. Im thinkning its a bearing or something but is there anyone who has experienced this?

Its an m45 jackson racing supercharger with stock pulley.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
I have heard that noise before!!

it is the coupler in the snout of the supercharger...

they eventually need to be replaced...guy in our Club had that same noise, and another clubmember fixed it...

Location?...East coast is a little vague...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard that noise before!!

it is the coupler in the snout of the supercharger...

they eventually need to be replaced...guy in our Club had that same noise, and another clubmember fixed it...

Location?...East coast is a little vague...
New Jersey area. Thank you for the reply! Is this a do it yourself fix? What is this going to set me back? Also, can it be driven while like this?

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
I had a Cobalt SS/SC that this happened to. It is indeed the coupler and isn't that hard to do. Buy a new coupler, pull the blower, take the bolts off the snout, replace, reinstall.

Might as well change the SC oil while you have it off. Make sure you get the proper oil and fill capacity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a Cobalt SS/SC that this happened to. It is indeed the coupler and isn't that hard to do. Buy a new coupler, pull the blower, take the bolts off the snout, replace, reinstall.

Might as well change the SC oil while you have it off. Make sure you get the proper oil and fill capacity.
Is it bad to drive it in its current state? i would assume so?

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Yep. You're only gonna cause damage to the internals of the SC. Easy driving in low rpms should be okay if necessary but it'd be best to park it till you fix it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. You're only gonna cause damage to the internals of the SC. Easy driving in low rpms should be okay if necessary but it'd be best to park it till you fix it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eaton-M45-Supercharger-Snout-Rebuild-Repair-Bearing-Kit-/181331139815?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a382d9ce7&vxp=mtr

This is all I should need correct? I just read that the green shock absorber looking couplers are not good. Do you know anything about that? Thanks for all the help btw.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
I was not privy to the repair that was done for fellow clubmember by another clubmember...but from his description, it was a relatively easy fix..and not expensive...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: just pulled the belt because my kit came. spinning the pully it doesnt sound like its the coupler?

somebody please tell me if this sounds familiar? Sorry for the terrible and low audio video.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey everyone.

Ive got an update. I just put the supercharger back in. Its got new oil, snout bearings (x2), snap case, and all that. The coupler was completely in-tact and we ended up putting that one back because the new one was thicker and would bind the whole charger when we put it together.

I went to finally start it up today and jesus, its making the same sound as before. I let it run a little and the sound died down but didnt go away. Does anyone have any advice?! Im desperate. My mx5 has been out of order for months now.

Someone please share your knowledge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts