ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i did a 1.8 brake swap on the front of my 90 miata. all was going well for about a week or two until i put on some racelands.. now i have a knocking sound coming frome the left front. it goes knock knock knock fast and increases with speed knock knock knock knock lmao. it sounds like its coming from the brakes? it stops when i hit the brakes or slightly turn the wheel someone please helppp!!:cry2::cry2::cry2:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please help its getting louder:((

·
Registered
910 Posts
Did you rotate the tires when you did the Racelands. I did this one time while doing a brake job. I heard the knock, knock, knock. I pulled every thing apart and put it back together. Same knock, knock, knock. Turns out when I rotated the tires the weight (stick on type) on the inside was just in the right spot to hit. I pulled the weight off and it fixed the problem.

I hope this is your problem. Free is always good fix.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doesn't sound like the swap was problematic; instead I've read Racelands can rub on your control arms? Maybe it was another suspension component but check for clearances.
Na I don't think its the brakes I think you might be right on the rubbing, I know they rub the axles in the back just a lil but that went away after they rubed threw enough

Did you rotate the tires when you did the Racelands. I did this one time while doing a brake job. I heard the knock, knock, knock. I pulled every thing apart and put it back together. Same knock, knock, knock. Turns out when I rotated the tires the weight (stick on type) on the inside was just in the right spot to hit. I pulled the weight off and it fixed the problem.

Hmm I'll take a look I think I did rotate them? Lol

Abs ring sensor coming loose...
I don't have antilock brakes

removing the racelands will fix your problem
Haha starting to think that would be the trick

·
Registered
660 Posts

Yeah. But now your steering wheel vibrates and you're pre-maturely wearing your wheel bearing((s) depending on if you did it to both wheels) lol...

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yeah. But now your steering wheel vibrates and you're pre-maturely wearing your wheel bearing((s) depending on if you did it to both wheels) lol...
If he needs to drive the car this is a better option than his current situation. I assume he knows that he will need to get it rebalanced.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe you didn't tighten your wheels properly.
-_- lmao I tightend them right

If he needs to drive the car this is a better option than his current situation. I assume he knows that he will need to get it rebalanced.
I would trade a shakey wheel to make this noise stop haha

Figure it out? Hopefully nothing fell apart on you.
Ima have to take it apart tomorow when the suns up. And its not so damn cold outside haha

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no luck:( i see no rubbing from the raceland no sticky wheel weight no nothing :( If someone ever had issue with this please speak up im fresh out of ideas :(

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pppppppppppppppppppllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeee help me im gettin super frustrated

·
Registered
920 Posts
Ah crap. Just did the same 1.8 swap and I'm having the same problem. Though mine only started when I bedded in the brake pads with a few hard stops. Now whenever I make a right turn all I hear is clunkclunkclunkclunk from the left front. Took the wheel off and rotated the rotor to see if it was catching on anything and everything seems fine. Driving straight and left turns are perfect, only turning right is the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
930 Posts
no to be a **** but did you do the swap right? are the brackets tight? are the brakes tight? do you have all the brake springs installed? get a socket on some bolts and see whats loose... start from the top down.

·
Registered
920 Posts
no to be a **** but did you do the swap right? are the brackets tight? are the brakes tight? do you have all the brake springs installed? get a socket on some bolts and see whats loose... start from the top down.
Double checked to make sure everything was tight. Nothing found.

·
Registered
930 Posts
are all the springs and shims there? check the inside of you wheel for damage caliper hitting wheel maybe? or how about the alignment bolts?

·
Registered
920 Posts
are all the springs and shims there? check the inside of you wheel for damage caliper hitting wheel maybe? or how about the alignment bolts?
Thanks for the help. You've certainly helped limit the possibilities of what it was. It turns out the problem wasn't brake related at all :phillyb:

This turned out to be the problem :x

Thanks so much for the suggestion, never would have thought of it myself. This also begs the question though, what do I need to do so I can rotate my tires?

I'll end this fiasco with this:

I'VE MENDED SOMETHING!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts