ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a dilemma here. I just recently got this Mazda Miata and I have 2 Recaro Speed seats with Beige suede inserts sitting around, BRAND new, not even used once still in packaging. These were supposed to go into a previous car but I have now moved onto the Miata. I waited 6months for these seats because of the colour and I paid a pretty penny for them. I'd love to use them but I don't think they'll quite fit.

Heres the thing. I took out the passenger seat and test fitted it but it didn't go "ALL" the way to the back like the stock ones do. Is this normal for an aftermarket seat? I was comparing this seat to the "Pole Position"

The thing that screws this seat over for fitting perfectly is the side adjusters for the reclining part. Both sides have an adjuster to recline the seat. Wich makes it 21 inchs wide at the back of the base because of those 2 reclinable knobs. I don't know if one can come off? The Pole position sits in nicely by the looks of it. Will seat brackets make a difference? I just set it down on the ground without any brackets or anything. Maybe some height will get it to fit more?

Pole position specs...

http://www.recaro.com/us/product-areas/motorsport/product/pole-position-fia.html

Recaro Speed specs...

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/product-areas/aftermarket-seats/product/speed.html

Anybody with aftermarket seat help me out here. I guess I'm asking if aftermarket seats go back all the way to the back of the car? Are they supposed to? Or do most aftermarket seats not fit in a miata? I really don't want to sell these.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by "Beat the tunnel" lol. I paid over 2g's cash for them. That was the best deal I could find in my area (Toronto). They don't have this colour sitting around so they had to be shipped over seas and made.

you could beat the tunnel and get more clearance.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've removed the inner knob on several Recaro models over the years without any problem--the control is redundant. Seat brackets didn't do much because the tunnel wall is relatively vertical (no space gained as the seat is moved up). After many fittings (and not fittings) my conclusion is that 21" seats are too wide for these narrow seat cars. I've got a very expensive set of Recaro Toplines in my garage right now to prove it!

I've got some custom brackets you're welcome to try, but what I think you'll find is that you'll have limited travel, even with the custom bracketry and that they will also sit higher than intended. There just isnt' that much room width-wise in an NA/NB. I worked hard to mount my Toplines, but the finished product was too high and didn't travel--especially the narrower driver's side didn't move at all. And that was AFTER beating the tunnel in an inch or so to get them in . So out they came and I'm toying with 3 options now: Lotus Elise fit very nice and are very comfortable, or custom recovered stock seats, or custom recovered 95M stock seats. And the Toplines are for sale at a great price if you know of anyone looking!

I'll be interested to see if you can work out an acceptable mount for those gorgeous Speeds--very nice seat and color selection, btw--but my experience leads me to be pessimistic. Good luck with the project & I hope you find the solution.

-B

·
Registered
152 Posts
Those are exactly the same as my aftermarket MAZDASPEED seats.

The seats will not go back as far as the OEM seats due to the shoulder supports and you will find that when pushed back all the way, your seatbelt towers will crush/indent (possibly even tear) the rear of the shoulder supports so don't force them back as far as possible.

I must open the door to be able to wind the seat angle since there's very little room down there.

Despite these limitations, they are a very comfortable seat to drive long distances in since their lumbar support is quite good and the lateral support definitely keeps you in your seat through "the twisty stuff" (unlike the factory seats).

Contact Rupewrecht for MX5 brackets: http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7747

1 - 6 of 6 Posts