ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Candy ass miata man
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am going to be repainting my hardtop since when I bought it, it was the OEM color and faded completely. I want to rattle can it very close to the color of my car (my car was repainted by a previous owner and I am 98% sure its not stock miata color since its much more brighter red than all of the other miatas I have seen with OEM paint.

This pic shows my paint pretty well, I am a huge fan of duplicolor products so was wondering if anyone has any experience with a red that MIGHT be close to my car from the perfect match series of paints they sell.

Oh and on a side note I am not going for perfection, if its close I am happy.

Do you think that autozone or a place would let me test spray a few bottles onto spoons and compare with my paint? :roll:

·
I <3 NY & Hate you
995 Posts
All the other Miatas you have seen have OEM paint which is now a faded red....thus yours is brighter.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
How bad is the paint? Is it beyond a good buff/polish/clay bar / wax?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have tested several spray paints outside AutoZone. They should be fine with it as long as it's not an old grump behind the counter.

Curious as to why you choose spoons though...haha

·
Candy ass miata man
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know a few people that work at autozone so that might help me out I am going to have to ask when they work and if they would do that:p Plastic spoons seem to be what tons of people do, and they are cheap and I can write the color on the handle so I can remember which is which.

All of the OEM faded classic red miatas I have seen look alot more "dark cherry" when might are alot more lighter red so wasnt sure if it was same original color.

·
Candy ass miata man
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heres the problem area, the crack appeared to go whole way up.

Sanded it down and realized it was only on bottom and top (not sure how middle didnt crack kinda random. Put this putty stuff I researched in it and sanded it down. Quick Steel plastic white epoxy.

Closer up of the expoy drying.

After lots of sanding down and what appeared to be a very smooth well done job (first time doing "body work") I started primering.

first layer of color

after 3rd layer and clear

finished product, you cant tell it looks to orange but it does in person

·
Registered
945 Posts
Maybe if you have it professionally cleared, it would look fine. You seem to have done a great job from the pictures. It's not a terrible match, and a real clear coat wont be much if you tape it up for them.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
You can also order OEM color matched paint (they even have a version with an integrated clear coat) in spray cans from these guys: http://www.apstowerpaint.com/

I bought 2 cans to do touch-ups on my front lip and the color was dead on. Cost about 18 a can.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looks like you did a good job of it, but still looks like it could do with a high-grit wetsanding or a decent polish to bring out the shine?

·
Registered
147 Posts
F that, I dont think you'll ever get a perfect match unless it goes in a booth. You did a nice job, but I say go satin black until you can get it painted professionally.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts