ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

In all honesty, I don't really know too much about tires. Which is why I'm coming to you guys.

I'm going to order a set of the 949Racing 6UL in 15x8 and need tires to go with it. I decided to get these over the Enkei RPF-1's I had my eyes on for a while.

Anyway, the car will see light track duties (HPDE-type stuff) and mostly weekend fun car duties. So... should I just go with the recommended Hankook RS2's? I think 949Racing recommends 225/45 for no rubbing, which is probably what I'll be getting. I'm on stock suspension now, but will hopefully be getting a Koni/GC set-up in a few months.

Any other thoughts? Tire life is pretty important to me, but since it won't be my daily driver, I figure the Hankooks will last for a while anyway. Additional plus is that 949Racing will mount/balance for me.

They're doing a pre-order for August delivery. By then, I should have my Fit. :)

Thanks again, my helpful CR friends.

Edit: jesseclee is right, i meant 225/45 :oops:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've personally heard better reviews on the Azeni 615's over the RS2's.

I've had bad luck with a couple different Hankook tires. Sidewall cracking etc. on 405s/406s.

Edit: Hankook and Toyo appear to the primary options in the 225/45/15 size. Cost wise, I think the choice is clear.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
never used the hankooks, but my azenis are incredible. my car is a daily driver and i've had them on since october. for as low as the treadwear is rated, they are holding up pretty well, and the grip is amazing for a street tire. on the flip side, if you are gonna lower your car, they prolly wont fit without a little rubbing.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Hankook RS2s. in the 225/45/15 size it seems to be the tire to go with.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
now that i think about it, azenis are only 1.25 mm taller, so i dont see that being too much of a problem. are you looking for 225 or are you ok with a 205 width tire? i'm not tryin to push the azenis on you, but www.edgeracing.com has 205/50/15 azenis for $74 a tire. actually edge has the hankooks for cheaper too, but i think the free mounting/balancing that 949racing offers is hard to beat. just wanted to throw some more info your way.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if i went with a 205 tire, does that mean it is a lower profile tire and its width (and therefore contact patch) is less? that is my understanding, but i want to make sure.

they have a toyo t1-r that is 215/45.

chricto - thanks for the info, i was wondering why the azenis would rub. any idea how much mounting/balancing might cost elsewhere? i might go check costco later.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
im going to be running a 16x8 +2 offset /w kook 225/45/16 rs-2's. Ill let you know how they fit after i get them on = )

Scott

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm running/racing 225/45 Hankooks on 40mm offset 6ULs with no rubbing problems on the street or during autocross. I'm under 12" from the center of the wheels to fenders on the ride height.

·
Registered
592 Posts
'Kooks all the way. I have the Azeni and would trade them in a heartbeat for some RS2s. I ran the RS2s at the Atwater tour and are a fantastic rain tire.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hankooks all the way. The Azenis like to work in a bit cooler of a range, so they aren't as good on the track. I'm at 11.75" in the front with lots of camber and I don't rub except at full lock.

·
Registered
226 Posts
IM looking at getting these too. I think I am going to stick with the 205/50/15 RS2's though. Anyone know how long it will take to get these wheels?

·
Registered
271 Posts
nice, good question.

i will be running 15 x 8's as well.
the choices of tires i was going through were the toyo T1r's or the hancook Rs2's...thow ive heard better things about the hancook...and there cheaper. i will be useing edgeracing to order then.

225/50/15's

1 - 20 of 24 Posts