ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start by saying that i've checked the "fitment thread" and I am still not sure what would be the best offset for me.

I'm really hoping someone on here can give me a good answer and not just, "check this thread....." for an answer.

So, i'm building an NA and I am set on running 17's. I know just about all of you on here disagree with the 17" wheel but its what I like. Now, here is the issue. The wheel I have found and I want to run is a 2-piece wheel that is basically made to order as far as offset is concerned. For the rear I can either go with 8" or 9.5". I'm pretty sure I can't run the 9.5" as i'm not running flares and I don't want to run tons of camber, so to be safe, i'm leaning towards the 8" rim. I'll be running a 205/40-17 tire on the setup. My big concern is what offset to run. Like I said, they will make me the wheels in whatever offset I want. I want to run as low of an offset as possible to give the rim a bigger lip and give it a nicer look, but not sure what would be the lowest possible offset I can run without having any issues. I do plan on rolling the quarters, but I don't want to pull them, just roll flat.

I already know the sizing i'll be running on the front, so that isn't a problem, I just need help with the offset sizing for the rears.

Can anyone please give me a good answer as to what would be the lowest offset I can go on a 17x8 and not have to run tons of camber. The car won't be a daily driver, but it will see the road as more of a weekend cruiser and occasional weekday ride.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Alex

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
If you want to run lower offset wheels a 215/40/17 is not what you want. I personally wouldn't run more than a 205/40/17 on a 17x8 20-30et.

A 215/40/17 is much taller than what we typically run. Even the 205/40/17 is 23.5". You will run into problems if you lower the car any. I personally could careless if you like 17s, just don't strap an almost 24" tire to it. The tire will be much more square when compared to say a 195/45/15 on a 15x8, you can't run comparable offsets due to this. Mix that with a tire too fkn tall and you've just wasted $$.

I bought my car with 205/40/17 clad 17x7 40et wheels. Even another -15mm on that would have needed fender work. They just plain suck on the car.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
on my previous miata, i had 215/40-17 on a 17x7 +40 et on the rear with a pretty good slam and a small spacer and there were no rubbing issues and there was still room to spare between the wheel and the fender lip and that car did not have the fenders rolled. I do understand what you all are trying to say, but i think that a 17x8 +15 with a 215/40-17 might still work. it might need a little camber and for sure and a full fender roll, so i'm hoping it might work. I just want to make sure i have the right sizing in mind for when i order my wheels, since they are made to order and i'm trying to achieve a certain look for the car.

thanks

·
I have the sack you want to ride.
4,639 Posts
215/40 sounds crazy tall. I ran 215/40 on 16" wheels and it was just right. On 17" wheels it would be too much.

Also - stop being lazy and asking for us to spoon feed you. Everything you want to know is on page 1 of the fitment thread.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Good luck, I hope I'm wrong. I would suggest only buying a tire though. See how it fits before buying all four.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
215/40 sounds crazy tall. I ran 215/40 on 16" wheels and it was just right. On 17" wheels it would be too much.

Also - stop being lazy and asking for us to spoon feed you. Everything you want to know is on page 1 of the fitment thread.
Wow man, thats pretty harsh. I'm not asking to be spoon fed, just asking for some assistance. And I did look at the fitment thread and I didn't get the answer for my question, or at least an answer I could understand.

Still thinking about going with the 17's, but after some quick discussions with some miata friends, I may have been persuaded into running 16's instead, just not sold yet. I can get the same wheel i'm looking at in a 16" sizing. The rears would be 16x8 and can be ordered in ANY offset I want, so if going with the 16, then i'll probably go with a +15 on the rear.

Now after reading the comments on this thread, if i stay with the idea of running 17's , i'd be best going with a +20 offset on the rear with a 17x8 rim and either a 215/35 tire or something along the lines of a 205/40 tire setup.

Now the big question for me is whether to continue with the idea of 17" or just go with the tried and true 16" setup.

thanks for the positive replies
Alex

·
I have the sack you want to ride.
4,639 Posts
Wow man, thats pretty harsh. I'm not asking to be spoon fed, just asking for some assistance. And I did look at the fitment thread and I didn't get the answer for my question, or at least an answer I could understand.
Not trying to be harsh. Just spouting the truth. The last post on page 1 of the fitment thread has all the info you need. From there it's just a matter of using a calculator or any number of online offset/wheel and tire size tools that are available.

Here are some links:

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

All you need to know is that the equivalent of a 16x8 +20 with a 215/40 tire is about the most extreme fit you can get with above 11" ride height, flat-rolled fenders and "normal" camber. Every possible combination of wheel and tire that you dream up can be compared to that baseline and you'll know how it will fit.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I'd go 16 personally, you have the option of easily running tires that aren't too tall. I'm not sure what ride height you plan to run at, or the use of the car when complete, but underload without super stiff suspension anything taller than 23" can have rubbing issues without a good bit of fender work on a NA.

Also, IMO I don't mind the look of 17s in the rear of a miata, but think they look super donk upfront. If I had my heart set on 17" out back I'd run 16's up front and put a slight rake on the car.

·
I <3 NY & Hate you
995 Posts
what about some 16x7 with a 10 offset on a NB 1999?stock height, would they touch or stick out?
Dont thread jack someone's question and like the original poster was told go look at the fitment thread.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=25080

**Edit** I see you posted the same question in the fitment thread, but still you gave no info on tire size. Read the first few pages of the thread and you will be able to figure out everything you need to know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts