ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! My name's Alex, and I CURRENTLY drive a 1982 Mazda RX-7, but I'm looking for a Miata.

I've always loved these cars, and oogle them at the local autocrosses. I've been checking Craigslist feverishly for one in my price range but I'm having a hard time even finding ANY for sale!

I've recently realized that FB's and NA's are surprisingly very similar. I like that - when Mazda made the first generation of RX-7's, they made them as a grassroots enthusiast car. Very minimalistic inside, great looking on the outside, and handled really well. There are a ton of styling queue's in the NA's from FB's. Some of the interior aspects are exactly the same.

So, needless to say I feel very comfortable in them.

Anyway, I figured I'd say a little hello. I'm diggin' a lot of the MX-5's on this site!

·
Registered
514 Posts
What up Alex. Welcome to CR. I am a former RX7 owner as well. (1987 N/A)... died due to apex seals taking a dump. **plays taps** ...... ne ways i noticed an odd similarity btw the rx and the miata as well. Glad to know i wasnt alone.

-Jeremy

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, I've always had a spot in my heart for FC's. I'll have one at some point in my life.

At the last VMSC autocross I drove an FC owned by a friend of mine...I think it was a GTU, but it had nice suspension mods and Borbet wheels with R-comp Hoosiers for autocrossing. That thing handled like it was on RAILS. Definitely fun to drive, however it had a little electrical gremlin (I hear that tends to be a common problem on second gens).

·
Banned
8,938 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright so, since I'm now OFFICIALLY a roadster owner I find it only fitting that I post a few pictures of the new car.

Here are a couple taken today:

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep! You're right, it's a 1997 - I guess for that year instead of calling them "C" Packages they called them "Leather" Packages, which had all the features of the P.E.P. but leather interior. I just call it a C Package though.

It's all stock - no rust, was in a little fender bender as you can see there is some damage to the front (small crack, hood bent a little). Other than that it's great. Engine sounds like a sewing machine while running, and it drives smoothly. I really like the distinct exhaust notes of these cars - different from most 4-cylinders.

There is one thing, and I think I'm going to try to track it down tomorrow, but the steering wheel has a small amount of "judder" when I go over a bump. Almost like a couple bolts are loose near the top of the steering rack where it braces or mounts it. Causes the steering to get a little bouncy when cornering hard, like it's hopping but it's not.

Otherwise, awesome car. I think it was a great find, especially compared to what I WAS looking at (except for your car, Sam, :p).

Oh, and yes - Hardee's is the shiznit.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Niiiice... and i thought MY interior looked new(ish). So whadya do with the FB/SA?

-Jeremy

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha, thanks! It's parked right now, but it's technically now my project car. I'm building it for track/autocross. :wink:

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
sweet nice to see you finally got a ride man. good luck with the white though! its hard to keep looking clean all the time.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks dude - I was thinking the same thing about the white. I figure I'm lucky it's still shiny though, so I'm lucky not to have the "white paint disease" or whatever it's called.

I enjoy washing it though, so maybe I'll just get into the habit of it.

Any ideas on that steering judder? It's not the wheel balance (although I need to do that too).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts