ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I decided to give it a go. A motorcycle parts supplier we deal w/ has real 7" HID systems. I've read on the light manufacturer's website that they work in conventional 7" lighting systems, I got a good price, so I ordered 2 for my car. I love my pop-ups, and I have been considering making some mounts to have 4x6" headlights that came off a 1g DSM, but I couldn't get the damn rusted screws out!! A common problem amongst 1g's :evil: Then again, I may have those buckets laying around in my parents garage :mrgreen: Ok, back on topic. I'll let you guys know how the turn out is, I'll try to get some pics in during install also. Look for progress or bug me next weekend if I don't have anything new.

http://www.xesighting.com/products_detail.asp?nav=1&cat=1&prod=92

·
Registered
402 Posts
If it works, I may be interested this summer.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Looks like it's too deep to mount in the popups. But maybe you can get it to work.

I'm still a fan of the Moss kit with and HID kit in them. From what I hear, H9s have the same projector pattern as HIDs.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We shall see. If they don't I can make all my money back selling them to the street bike guys on Ebay :mrgreen:

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it looks like I can get away w/ a little fabbing to either the headlight housing itself or to the headlight lid, we shall see this coming weekend if I can get some free time. I'll make sure to keep you guys posted, it's nothing to wire them, they're already pretty much setup and DAYUM they're bright :shock:

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Good luck with your project. I used to hate the big ass barn doors when I first got interested in NAs, but you car makes them look good! I kinda wish I didn't sell mine off.

·
Registered
135 Posts
even if it works it won't provide a good cutoff line. you would need hid projectors or else you'll get beam scatter and more than likely a fix it ticket.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Not if the reflector is designed correctly. There are a lot of OEMs that use reflectors with HIDs Most Acuras, some Nisans.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brian- There is a cut-off line, if you look about 3/4's of the way down on the light itself in the picture, theres a difference in the reflector, it's very noticable in your hands. I tested them at night to make sure there was a cut-off line also.

I tried installing them Monday and I need to cut and grind a little on the OEM brackets itself. I have about a 1/2" of distance before the light is fully seated in the housing :x There's a tab/bent arm on the original housing for our lights that the HID's casing seems to come in contact enough that it's a small inconvienence (sp?) I also only have to grind the round hole a little for fitment due to 2 ridges on the HID headlight's housing. I don't believe I'll have to modify the lid itself for fitment, so far, so good. As like with every project, there's little snags along the way that can be fixed :mrgreen:

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
245 Posts
tsx hids are the best out there ask anyone who deals with em...have the best cut off....most bmw people will agree

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been real tired lately after work so I've been putting off working on it until the weekend comes around. Like I stated, there's little grinding to do on one bracket, but it should fit fairly easily after that's done. I'll make sure I take some night pics of it since it's easily hooked up, I can just pull the plug and plug it in to see/show the difference they make, so I should get those up before the weekend. (Nothing like that whine when they power up. I always loved hearing how my helmet HID's turned on to light up the trails when I'd practice @ night for racing :twisted: )

·
Registered
135 Posts
lostsoul, sounds good to me, if you've seen the cut off thats good enough for me but post pics when you get this done, i'd love to see the finished product.

tsx hids are the best out there ask anyone who deals with em...have the best cut off....most bmw people will agree
its not the hid or the bulb, its the projector and its housing. a lot of e36 bmw guys replace their projectors with tsx units for the improved clarity. problem is the projector housing is kinda awkward...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA-TSX-2005-OEM-XENON-HID-PROJECTORS-CLEAR-LENS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQitemZ300089317812QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

1 - 20 of 33 Posts