ClubRoadster.net banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
You'd think that if you told the fucktards with blue HIDs to look into some nice blue police lights, they'd want to or wouldn't be bothered. But no one does...because it sucks to look at...just like no one wants to look at the fucktard's blue headlights (regardless of proper install or not).

I really think about getting a blue laser pen to shine in the faces of those with shitty headlights. Yes, I know the implications of this and how lasers are a completely different level of light...so no one is going to tell me something I don't already know. But the thought is entertaining...

·
Registered
382 Posts
this thread sucks now. how are you gonna complain about someones lights when you wanna flash a laser in their eyes intentionally, which is no better... fucking man up and take it

·
Taste cannot be bought.
3,032 Posts
this thread sucks now. how are you gonna complain about someones lights when you wanna flash a laser in their eyes intentionally, which is no better... fucking man up and take it
Exactly.

For being a married man (with kids, I think), Doppel, you carry yourself like an adolescent. When you start insulting people and talking about getting justice, you look like a fool. Grow up and turn the other cheek.

·
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Oh fucking hell, did you think I was serious? LoL :lol:
Hence "the thought is entertaining"....and knowing the implications of such actions.
Though a rear-facing 6" reflector foglight with a 10k HID for the retards that like to sit behind me with their shitty lights is also an entertaining thought as well.

Breezy- No, not married by choice (I just hear the weak "no one would want to marry someone like that" comments already). No kids either, I have bigger things to worry about like school and a better career.

·
Premium Member
2,938 Posts
Yup. I've done a build thread/how to on here for them

·
Registered
14 Posts
by which i meant, maybe we can work out some sort of fair pricing; you win (you get $ to proceed to the next stage of light), I win (i get to the first stage of light, and don't have to explain to my wife why i'm putting headlamps in the oven).

("a good compromise leaves everybody angry") :)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
tom550, so far you contributions to this thread are that "cutoff doesn't matter" and that "you cant judge brightness from a photo." Please do enlighten us with more of your factual knowledge, which seems oddly devoid of any kind of helpful explanation, personal experience, ect.

·
Registered
433 Posts
tom550, so far you contributions to this thread are that "cutoff doesn't matter" and that "you cant judge brightness from a photo." Please do enlighten us with more of your factual knowledge, which seems oddly devoid of any kind of helpful explanation, personal experience, ect.
Well for one I said people judge headlights off how sharp the cutoff is. i didnt say cutoff doesnt matter. But proving my point, XSNRGE assumed the top picture was better, probably because the cutoff is very sharp. In fact the top picture is the matchbox or the dapper kit. The bottom is the TL projector which a lot of people say is the best projector available.

These are all the same projector. It seems like its brighter in different pictures.

·
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
BTW- I knew what you were getting at with the "projector based on cutoff" comment. Even with a razor-sharp cutoff, you can have bad light output/poor spread/hotspots. I was just wanting you to explain it in your own way.

This reminds me that I need to get a good picture of mine and post it up...

·
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I could imagine a couple of arguments against the ultra-sharp cutoffs- One being oncoming drivers getting more of a "flash" in their eyes at times where having a slightly lower contrast cutoff will kinda graduate the difference between no light and light. I guess I'm getting at saying there is a bit more "adjustment time" for oncoming motorists, just a little, but it's still there and could make a difference. I can also see it being a bit distracting to the driver of the vehicle with very sharp cutoff in that the contrast between where object are lit up vs. not lit up.

I can see both when driving at night and neither the super-sharp nor the slightly fuzzy cutoffs bother me really. However, 8k+ and reflector setups are noticeable and bothersome from 500 miles away.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Strictly speaking pretty much any lighting mod is non-compliant with FMVSS.

The proper compliance laws / rules all cite one or another standard eg: SAE or TUV etc.

For example tail and brake lights are legally limited in light output ... Installing brighter tail lamps does not meet maximum illuminance limits as per SAE if it doesnt meet SAE it doesnt meet DOT and therefore doesnt meet FMVSS.

SAE compliance *always* involves measuring and limiting output at various angles up down left and right.

The US dept of Commerce is seizing and desroying containerloads of non-compliant lighting every week at border entry points. Lately they have been fining resellers which is why mysteious Ebay sellers are now the dominant source.

There is a bit of a loophole in that an owner of a vehicle cannot be fined for installing non-compliant parts but that does not make them compliant; it just means a cop has to cite you for it.

Some States have conflicting or permissive laws but none the less FMVSS supercedes all State laws on any safety equipment which lighting comes under. If you can "get away" with non-compliant lighting in your jurisdiction that does not make it compliant and you can still be cited.

In order for any lighting mod to be compliant you have to show SAE compliance on that speific make model and year of vehicle. Which is why few major aftermarket lighting firms sell retrofit HID lighting. The compliance regimen is too expensive since it has to be done for specific vehicles one by one.

Not trying to encourage or discourage anyone from mods, just letting everyone know some of the details. "DOT approved" is meaningless since it must be DOT approved for your specific vehicle or if DOT approved for aftermarket then a specific application (eg bus lighting only) to actually be compliant.

·
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Common sense to me that ANYTHING but stock is technically "illegal". But in the spectrum of things from "blatantly obvious" to "I doubt even a state safety check would spot"....the colored HIDs and HIDs in shitty housings fall under the first area. Something like my L.E.D red 3rd brake light or clear side markers with amber/red bulbs is far less of an issue. These are the things that are much more of a problem. But since most of it is under federal law, states generally do not have individual laws or have obscure laws that could be applied if officers were more aware of them. Sucks that the 'tarded cops out there would rather wait to pop someone for speeding on a unused roadway at 3;30am in the middle of nowhere rather than citing violators who are affecting hundreds of people a night driving in a more populated area. It'd be nice to demonize other traffic violations that are a bigger problem.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I completely agree with the sentiment of the thread, but one thing bothers me. Pictures aren't always the best at illustrating lighting. I say this because at least one of your examples is a factory HID car (the GTI -- appears to be a Fahrenheit edition). Maybe their HID replacement bulbs are of poor quality?

·
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
It might be a factory HID-equipped car, but the fact that the lights are purple are the part I was pointing out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i need some help guys.i've retrofitted my headlights and waiting for the hids to arrive.but i forgot to order the splitters for the high beams :( does anyone know which two cables are for the high beams to connect them temporary?? i guess the middle one is the negative.which one is for the high beam?? i don't have a multimeter to check it :( (my car is an nb1)

·
Registered
2 Posts
this is one of those posts that should be stapled all over the interwebz.

and yes not all projectors should get HIDs. there are specific ones that are better and aimmed more towards a HID bulb. if you're gonna be an ass and still do it wrong then throw a HId bulb into any projector, never a standard reflector.
www.theretrofitsource.com i'll just leave taht there if it wasn't brought up. have fun and do it right.
and how are those blue and purple bulbs treating you when it rains.... ugh.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I decided to test these hypotheses with some 35w 10000k HIDs and bosch e-codes.

LOLZ :haiguyths:

I was actually surprised to find out that the cutoff was the lower half of a half circle. The top is a sheer horizontal line about a half foot above my cutoff with standard halogen H4's (I put one HID in one light, kept the halogen in the other). I will post pics soon hopefully.

I personally like blue because when Im driving with lights on, it's night time. And we ALL know what that means...your eyes are not receiving the proper wavelengths of light (which happen to be blue light frequencies) to inhibit your pineal gland from producing melatonin; melatonin being the main hormone that makes you sleepy and is tied to your circadian rhythm.

"It is principally blue light, around 460 to 480 nm, that suppresses melatonin,[36] proportional to the light intensity and length of exposure."

Pineal Gland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

Therefore I like blue lights because it bathes my pineal gland with the correct frequencies so I do not get as tired as fast!

Mathz.

:icon_cheers:

81 - 100 of 130 Posts