ClubRoadster.net banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
D2r bulbs are made for reflector housings that were made for that bulb. You can't put a d2r bulb in a h4 housing. People don't put d2s bulbs in halogen reflector housing. If you want to have a proper reflector hid headlights you should retrofit a d2r reflector in your headlights.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great write-up and very informative, well up to the part about the color temperature. As a photographer, it should be noted that the color temperature of the sun is usually around 5500k, and the color of the sun just so happens to be white. Yes, I remember the good ol' days of kindergarten where we would color in the sun as yellow, but we are so use to it being yellow that scientists even color it yellow in photographs.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
A note about HID head lights.

I have the Moss Lo-pro headlights which uses high quality Hella projector housings for the low beams. They have a proper cut-off like modern headlights and use H9 bulbs.

I decided to put in some 4300k HID bulbs. I never felt like the lights were that great. I've since switched to the original halogens and what a difference! Yea, I have the yellowish light but the light goes where it needs to. Hella makes a HID light in the style of the Moss units but they cost five times the price of the halogen units. There must be a difference in the reflector of the housing because the HID do not perform well in the Halogen units.

So, a word to those with projector head lights with halogen bulbs. HID require a specific style housing to properly disperse the light. By switching to HID, you may be decreasing light output.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the original BSP lo Pros on my car and would like to upgrade them to HID. I have heard of folks doing a retro fit to a HID projector using a 90mm hella or the like, but I cannot find the write up anywhere. Does anyone know where i could find the retro fit thread?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Are you sure you didn't just see the moss low headlights, and think that it was the brainstorm kit that was converted? I've never looked closely at the brainstorm kit but from pictures I would assume you would need an adapter plate made. Probably not very hard to make but something to bolt up to the original brainstorm bracket and then bolt up the hella lights.

I would say just sell the brainstorm kit then buy the moss kit. Ive never seen the brainstorm kit sell personally but I do see people asking a good ammount for it when they do pop up for sale.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yeah,

You can get about two bills for the BSP Lo-Pros. I had a set that I considered converting but by the time you buy the Hella units, modify an already crappy design to make them work, upgrade the shoddy BSP wiring you end up with a sub-standard kit at best. I sold the BSP kit, let someone else deal with that headache and bought the Moss kit. Sure it's expensive but its OEM quality and it works!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hate it when lifted trucks have those. It feels like my retinas are burning
THIS.

Living in Texas I run into that way too often.

:cry:

·
Registered
6 Posts
am I allowed to bump this? I need 15 posts to PM OP back.

This thread comes up as #1 google search if you search "HID in halogen housings", actually #2 now from nasioc.

This post should be stickied on every car forum that talks about HID headlights.

I use this thread when arguing with people on why they shouldn't put HIDs in halogen housings, and even most OEM halogen projector housings. This post sums up EXACTLY how headlights work. After linking this thread, their only response is "well uhhhhhhhh trucks are so bright and no one has flashed me and I aimed my lights down herpapdderpeadperap"

After doing tons of research, I have retrofitted almost all of my vehicles.. only 2 more to go.

This thread ROCKS

121 - 130 of 130 Posts