• Test Pipe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I have a 2.5" downpipe going into a 2.5" turbo exhaust with a stock, 1.5" 16 yr old cat in between. I'm thinking I'll get some significant gains from upgrading to a wider, freer cat. The question is: Go for a high flow cat or a straight pipe. Would one make a bigger gain then the other? Also, how much sound dampening does the cat do? How much louder will it make it?

P.S.- Im aware of the legality of running without a Cat and its effect on the environment, yada yada.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I currently have a test pipe on my car and the sound dampening that you get from the cat is about the same as you get from the stock muffler. If you want to get an approximate sound level, try running with just the cat and the mid pipe. That will be close to the sound of a test pipe and a muffler. you also get a lot of sound dampening from the turbo until the waste gate opens so just keep that in mind

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
When I changed my test pipe out for a high flow cat on my turbo'd Saturn, I lost 1 whp. Yes, only 1 mere horsepower.

·
Registered
514 Posts
What about the world of stink the miata becomes without a cat... I would go High Flow cat especially since the gains arent that different from Test pipe. then you can get the warm fuzzies from knowing that you are helping the environment and all that tree hugger ****.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
What about the world of stink the miata becomes without a cat... I would go High Flow cat especially since the gains arent that different from Test pipe. then you can get the warm fuzzies from knowing that you are helping the environment and all that tree hugger ****.

-Jeremy
I'd buy into it if I hadn't passed emissions sniffer testing catless this year. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts