ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just sold my 02 civic auto (boring) and got a 91 miata manual, and I went on the freeway and the rpm is pretty high (around 4k-5k) at 5th gear going 80mph, is this normal for this car? I'm very new to manual and miata so I'm just kinda worried.

Oh yeah, I was driving on main street passing Alhambra, CA's mazda dealer, another white miata with a red top just came out of the dealer and kept tailing me VERY closely. It's only my first week of learning to drive a manual so I got pretty pissed :(. Hopefully it wasn't one of you guys. :cry:

·
Registered
559 Posts
That is just the way miata's are. They are not a high speed car. If you travel a long distance on the freeway with exhaust you'll most likely be def when you get were you need to get to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But it's perfectly fine (other than eating up more gas) to drive a long distance at 80mph at high RPM, say under 100 miles right? Sorry for all the dumb questions but I'm just worried cause I've never drove a stick especially since it's a 91.

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
That is just the way miata's are. They are not a high speed car. If you travel a long distance on the freeway with exhaust you'll most likely be def when you get were you need to get to.
I drove my Miata with the RSR installed with leaky soft top to NorCal from SoCal not too long ago (six hours drive). My ears felt like they were at a rock festival for the next 6 hours after I got out of my car.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Yep, at 55mph nearly every car is at it's most efficent. Going past that, and fighting to cut all that drag, really kills your gas milage.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yep that's why I got a pair of these to compliment me on long trips. Blocks out all the noise. Sounds like a live concert on the go. Unobtrusive enough that it doesn't look obvious to cops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts