1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parts Lists

-HKS Replacement Filter Element Part#70001-AK021
-HKS High Temp Silicone Hump Hose 70mm hose 76mm length Part# 1803-SA023
-HKS Super Power Flow Intake 70mm (discontinued)
-HKS Rx-7 MAF Adapter 70mm Part#70019-BZ001
-HPS 2 Stainless Steel T-Bolt Clamp 2.75" - 3.08" (70mm - 78mm)

Hello MX-5 owners/enthusiasts
I was wondering if anyone has ran the HKS Super Filters (foam style) on ANY MX-5, and what your experience has been with it? Ive read all the horror stories of them melting to the cage, or crumbling and being sucked up. I myself have found with this set up that my 1993 1.6L stock 145,000 NA now revs up MUCH smoother. After removing the stock air box I found all I had to do was fabricate a small bracket to now hold the "box-less" air flow meter. You can see the bracket I made in the picture. I used an area that was conveniently enough, able to mount to an existing bracket on the AFM, and a bolt that was originally used for the air box. Any feedback or experience with a setup of this nature would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of doing that, but how much do you think another thin layer of metal will really do in regards to temperature? Another idea i thought of was to remove the heat shield and then wrap the headers with header tape, then put the stock shield back on.... do you think that might do more? i have no problem constructing an air box, i actually wanted too, but not if its really not going to do anything..

thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have an open Spectre filter and I left the bottom of the stock airbox in place and attached the AFM via brackets to the bottom box. I think that the box should act as a bit of a heat shield. Doesn't look as clean as a custom fabricated heat shield though.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
There are things you can possibly do to keep the temperatures down. Do some research, I am definitely sure there are spray on materials, heat wrap, etc.

When I had my ARC air chamber I was going to make a box for it & possibly have had done a 3 layer set up for the box. Heat shield wrap, a thin layer of heat resistant foam/sponge, then the actual box itself. You can even wrap your exhaust manifold/headers with header wrap. I was looking at High-Temp Resistant Silicone Rubber foam for the job but that isn't the case anymore lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an open Spectre filter and I left the bottom of the stock airbox in place and attached the AFM via brackets to the bottom box. I think that the box should act as a bit of a heat shield. Doesn't look as clean as a custom fabricated heat shield though.
I didnt think of that.. if i left the box in then it would block some of the heat. OOOR without the box there is more air flowing through the whole area? im not sure... but i think i should build something

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's an HKS intake kit, a waste of money though lol. Just search HKS Super Flow Filter & you're bound to find it.
http://www.corksport.com/hks-super-mega-flow-intake-for-miata.html
Yes i agree, NEW it might be waste of money... besides being real japanese parts.
I however, got most of this stuff used... The MAF adapter and filter cage were 35$ from a guy on craigslist. It needed a new element, so i ordered one for 20$, and at the same time happen to find that 70mm HKS coupler on EBAY for 20$. Then the 2 t clamps were 10$

so a total of 85$

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Definitely, I'm glad to see that you were able to make best use of the used parts man. Its much more cheaper than purchasing the kit. It sure is too much money for my cheap broke ass.

·
red?
1,239 Posts
I've not had experience with the HKS filter, but a friend of mine has a naturally aspirated NA that he tracks hard with an open-element UNI pod filter and ARC pipe (same location as yours). No heat shield on the Maxim Works header or the filter. It hasn't melted in the last year of track events.

Conjecture, but the crumbling and failure of an open-element HKS could be due to excessive turbo heat.

Story time: When I was a wee lad I had a little Yamaha PW-50 - ported, polished, jetted, and overbored to 60cc. It ran an open UNI filter. We made a splash guard out of an oil bottle. In line with this cheap idea, perhaps you could make a heat shield out of a reflective-wrapped unused paint can or such.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts