ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, ok well ive been wondering and thinking of why people have gone from a 240sx, Corolla and other drift cars to a miata, so I would like to know some of the reason why people have taken that decision and got a miata? I am just wondering because I know some people had pretty nice set up cars as far as suspension, power and even looks and give all that up for a stock car. I know some just want something different, something harder to drift, and want to be unique but for those who have others reason please let me know why.

Thanks
:)

·
RDR
4,252 Posts
take it from me...i've had corolla>240sx s13>corolla>miata and miatas seem pretty damn fun to drive compared to everything i've had imo but yea, it seems to be the new hot set up

M

·
0 Posts
Maybe because the MR is simply the best balanced car ever made at any price.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
MR....mazda roadster? don't confuse people :lol:

I dunno, I used to have a somewhat modded Neon and I miss it a lot. I think if I had the chance, I'd trade for it straight up. I'm kinda sick of my Miata, and for the right price I'd probably sell it in a heartbeat.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Got mine to be unique and i fell in love when i drove it. But i mostly wanted something that would do well in autocross.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I still have my 240 and probably will always own one. But...Too many are getting profile by cops. Too many bandwagons. Prices are raising for everything. People are stealing them.

Miata is cheap-ish, great after market, and really well balance and I don't think cops will really look at you twice unless you have neon lights or something outrageous...

I probably won't drift my miata though, I'll keep to roadraces and autox.

·
Registered
459 Posts
miata, why the change?: reasonable price,more vehicle availability= easier to find parts compared to 86 corolla, less headache with police profiling common with other brands, big fun factor, 50/50 distribution, 87 octane gas friendly and economical, known and proven track worthiness, easy to sell due to raising gas prices.... did i leave out anything that doesn't prove having a miata is a good investment?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
MR....mazda roadster? don't confuse people :lol:

I dunno, I used to have a somewhat modded Neon and I miss it a lot. I think if I had the chance, I'd trade for it straight up. I'm kinda sick of my Miata, and for the right price I'd probably sell it in a heartbeat.
Neons are dirt cheap (****, i have an NYG sitting around and a 98 Sport Coupe that'll have a fresh rebuild within about a week if you're interested ;) ), I highly reccomend not selling the Miata. Just save your lunch money for like...a week and buy a Neon. Mine hasn't run since April of 05, and I miss it a lot. They're both really fun cars in their own way, and if you have the garage space, i'd do both.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got one so I don't have to drive any fags that need rides around.
hahaha that?s one of the many reasons I got mine.

well I mostly wanted to post this and get some feedback because I don?t know why I have been wanting a 240, I think its just because I have been working on my friends and man everything is so easy, not only that but sr20 motors are pretty cheap seen how you get a good set up and just turn the boost up to 8-10psi and your good as far as power. I just hate the fact that it takes a lot more money to have a nice powered miata. I mean I have tried to keep up with my friend but damn turbo vs. a stock NA miata motor is pretty hard. I know if I had a good 190-200 at the wheels I would take him overall, but well as far as drifting it would be a tuff one. Seen how 240's are easier to drift, I drove his car and man was it different, everything felt so easy, yet I don?t know, it made me want to get one. I was thinking of getting a 92-94 coupe, getting some coilovers, black top, solid motor mounts, bucket seat, and a few other things and just using that as a drift car and having my miata for grip, but I just hate when people say the miata cant or shouldn?t drift, so that makes me want to just finish my miata and prove them wrong or at least try. This has been in my head for months now and man, it?s so hard.... I can?t decide coilovers for my miata and save for my motor or buy a stock 240? crap I don?t know what to do... this sucks, lol, I asked some people they tell me to keep my car its more unique and looks better than a 240 but I just want the 240 to beat the **** out of it lol.but then I see people sell there sick set up 240s and im like wtf why would you sell that to get a stock miata? Then I see miata owners sell there sicks set up miata and im like wtf why? Is it still not good enough, after putting all the money into it? But **** idk. It?s a hard decision. I really need some help. :( :shock:

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
volcom: use that money for a nice coilover set and some swaybars and your good to go. Thats more than enough to drift your miata. You could even go as far as getting a aggressive alignment if you wanted.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
This is what my problem is. I live in an apartment complex and really can't have more than one car. The Miata is not a very practical "only" car. I can barely go grocery shopping with it! It's horrible on the highway because of the gearing...hell, I used to get up to 38 MPG in my Neon on the highway...I think I've broken 30 MPG in the Miata once, maybe twice, and on top of that, the Neon was a whole lot faster, too. Out on the highway, the windnoise sucks pretty bad in the Miata, too.

Don't get me wrong, I like driving the Miata, it's nice and small, it handles well, it looks "cute" but it is so friggin' slow, and that's coming from an ex-Neon owner!

I'm probably not going to get a Neon again, though, because as much as I love them, they're FWD.

I need something that's RWD/AWD and has an acceptable amount of power to begin with, has potential to make more power relatively easy (which pretty much means it has to be turbo) does well on the highway (going over a 100mph in a Miata really isn't very fun...it's kinda spooky)

However, I'm kinda SOL anyways because after all the bills are paid, I'm left with very little money, and I probably can't get too much for my Miata, either...

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
volcom: use that money for a nice coilover set and some swaybars and your good to go. Thats more than enough to drift your miata. You could even go as far as getting a aggressive alignment if you wanted.

Well im pretty much done with my suspension? all I could and want to really add now is,coilovers,roll bar, and then just tune and mess with the settings, I also got brakes, almost done with looks, still got a few things to do to the inside and then I need to start on the motor but, damn I feel like im going to brake a arm and a leg to get the miata where I want it to be as far as power and being able to be reliable and drive it daily yet track"drift, autocross" it every month or more. That?s the reason why I was thinking damn should I stop? Or finish? Not sure. Sell? Crap I don?t know.

·
Registered
459 Posts
volcom: its not that miatas can't drift, its just harder, with low PMOI like an s2000.

imho, keep ur miata.u own a car that the trend has not hit just yet. my buddy sold his 90 240sx back in 99 for a fb rx7 gsl-se and never regretted it. sure by now if u want a reliable 240 or even one worth getting, its not worth the money due to higher demands and ppl turning drifters overnight wanting a 240 of their own.

what i'm trying to say is, MAZDA has always had something magical with all its 50/50 wt. dist. sports cars. have u consider ur mazda's older brother? the rotary's?

that's ur ticket, and the reason i got a miata is simply its cost and handling traits. if u want a taste of both grip and drift, i believe an rx-7 would be a good choice. and it can also be a disaster if you're not familiar with rotary engines... but na rx-7 are not by far on the most wanted list yet.

turboII rx-7s are rare nowadays, but get into one and you'll know why my friend got me hooked on rotary's as well. and thats how i'm even got me to like anything MAZDA. if ur really serious of owning 2 cars like no 2morrow, reconsider. ****, i'd take ur hooked up miata than a 240 anyday. thats just a new targetted car for police harassment.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts