ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave it a go.
Made a home made intake from ford escape and k&n filter. Used my maf and iat from mazda
She idles fine, revs fine, but when under load and accelerating, she bogs a bit, starts to get up on acceleration, not as good as she used to be with stock and then 'vtec' kicks in at normal acceleration at like 6500-6700. Help me? :) lol

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Try resetting the ecu before changing anything. It sounds like it's running rich.

If that doesn't work you could just have designed it poorly. The Maf that close to the manifold could be disturbing the air flow or something odd. There's a reason even the spec guys keep the crossover tube and run those long filter stacks. You can change the powerband by messing with the intake a bit. Yours now would be more favorable to a higher peak hp vs the crossover tube if it flowed properly.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
If you had searched around miata.net you'd know that a shorter intake causes a torque dip in the mid range. It also seems that your filter is too small honestly....not enough surface area.

Put a bigger filter on there (one with more surface area) and see if that helps. If not, make a true cold air intake or a long intake over to the drivers side with a heat shield. I'll post pics of both as I've done both. The true CAI is superior

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
on a more technical note if you change the distance of your maf from the stock location without recalibration ie. tuning it will change your fuel trims.... lesson learned from the evo x's when they first came out.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Great way to help that? Reset the ecu by holding the + and - battery terminal connectors together. Of the course of the next 50 miles, your ecu will relearn fuel trims

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
Your intake tube is too short..

the stock piping, with the resonator chamber is designed that way for a reason...smooth power across the whole RPM range....

This subject has been beat to death on MNet over the years...the Miata does not respond to intake mods like Hondas and Nissans..because they got it right out of the box...unless you live over 5k rpm

·
Registered
210 Posts
your intake is way too short, you probably lost a lot of torque. I would keep the original plastic pipe or replace it with a custom mandrel bend tube and open filter like I did. I had good results with that setup on my old 92 na.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts