ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
honda, I hate you.

first, you steal, yes, steal, the double wishbone suspension away, and then you have the audacity to even produce the element, and then you have the audacity to think it's okay in the slightest bit to make it a drift car. :evil:

somewhere, every discared D-series engine curses you.

this is just too weird for me

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
I dont understand the hate....... You guys act as if its some sort of disgrace that someone turned an element into a drift car.

I'd rather see more off the wall cars than just another 240, ae86, rx7, etc.....

Sure, the element is most certainly not an ideal platform to start with, but I have more appreciation for that than a typical run of the mill drift car.

I dunno, just my opinion..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkMhQWXIW8
yeah, uhh...thats stock, not the rwd converted one from the original post.

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it's dope. The first thing that came to my mind was the Renault Espace F1.

Now, if only Honda would put that v6-turbo rwd drivetrain into something like.....oh..I dunno....an NSX? :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
honda's just trying to capitalize on something that's the cool thing at the moment and I just don't like that.

it's like watching Fast & the Furious but in real life.

if some guy actually did the work himself and brought it out and started competing I'd give him huge props. but it's a factory backed effort to bring in more revenue and I just don't like it.

edit: I wanna see a mitsubishi starion or a GNX or something like that. I'd rather see a freakin Sentra converted to RWD with an SR20, or an accord wagon with similar mods for that matter. a freaking VOLVO 240 would be a welcome addition. I don't wanna hear about how much $$ a car company dropped into a single car that isn't connected at all to the scene just so they can get exposure for themselves.

that's just my .02

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[epic said:
@ Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:03 am]honda's just trying to capitalize on something that's the cool thing at the moment and I just don't like that.

I don't wanna hear about how much $$ a car company dropped into a single car that isn't connected at all to the scene just so they can get exposure for themselves.
Is a Pontiac GTO connected to the scene? A Solstice? A Dodge Charger? I haven't seen them on any Initial D episodes (yet).Welcome to the real world. Money talks. I guess a good analogy would be comparing it to the hip-hop or indie punk scene. So at what point does one "sell out"? Do you keep the community small and specialize, but not reach everyone? I mean, that's what every artist wants right? Exposure of their craft? But as soon as they expand out and capitalize, they are sell-outs to the hardcore audience.

I commend Honda for thinking outta-the-box. For the last 10 years, they've produced nothing but homogenized appliances (exception being the Type-R series). Even though the Element will never see production, at the least it shows the engineers are having a little fun.

·
Registered
255 Posts
hmmm, kinda reminds me of a scion xB....
+1 on the Renault Espace F1...that thing is so kewl....in an F1 mini van kind of way :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
[epic said:
@ Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:07 pm]honda, I hate you.

first, you steal, yes, steal, the double wishbone suspension away,
Ok, so basically an auto company used a technology that wasn't patented and provided excellent stability and handling to their product lineup. Sounds like what's been going on for past century of auto-making. Am I wrong?

[epic said:
]and then you have the audacity to even produce the element
Whoa! Far be it from auto companies to produce new vehicles. I mean, we should still be driving around Galaxies and Falcons with that kind of mindset. Hell, a Stanely Steemer might be good too (great chick magnets, I hear).

[epic said:
]and then you have the audacity to think it's okay in the slightest bit to make it a drift car. :evil:
Meh? I've seen worse attrocities commited by auto companies in their production cars (FWD Monte Carlo? Shame on you, bowtie).

[epic said:
]somewhere, every discared D-series engine curses you.
Wait, what? The Element doesn't use a D-Series engine (stock is a K24A), nor does this 500hp beast. If you're complaining about discarded D-Series engines, go yell at the people doing B-swaps in CRXs and HFs.

[epic said:
@ Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:03 am]honda's just trying to capitalize on something that's the cool thing at the moment and I just don't like that.

it's like watching Fast & the Furious but in real life.
Hasn't everyone else? Hell, the damn movies even got MEGUIARS in on the hype. Oh well, at least Mother's hasn't sold out yet... oh wait, the Foose commercial, right.

[epic said:
]if some guy actually did the work himself and brought it out and started competing I'd give him huge props. but it's a factory backed effort to bring in more revenue and I just don't like it.
So what you're saying is that ther should be no factory-backed racing efforts out there? Well damn, there goes NASCAR, KART, FIA, ALMS, F1....

[epic said:
]edit: I wanna see a mitsubishi starion or a GNX or something like that. I'd rather see a freakin Sentra converted to RWD with an SR20, or an accord wagon with similar mods for that matter. a freaking VOLVO 240 would be a welcome addition. I don't wanna hear about how much $$ a car company dropped into a single car that isn't connected at all to the scene just so they can get exposure for themselves.
Starion? I've seen a few out at competitions. They're not prevalent, but put on a good show nonetheless. I hear htey make good beginner's cars. GNX!? Even I have a problem with seeing one of those on a drift course. Seeing a RWD Sentra is going to somewhat of a why bother. Too much engineering and time put into a chassis that a) wasn't intended for the rigors of a RWD drivetrain, and b) a chassis that is outpaced by the 240 family. Volvos? Seen it done. Being RWD from the get-go and having turbo options is a plus. The 960 wagons are a hoot to see slinging around.

One word in closing. Marketing. It's both the savior and bane of any company. Exposure is what puts a name in your head. The more you remember that name, the better it is for the company. Anyone remember that Ford commercial with Lucy and Ricky Ricardo? Smart move on Ford's part. Using two figureheads of popular entertainment to help push a product. Whether or not it worked, I can't say, but it's the same thing that's going on today. Don't like it? Turn off your tv.

·
Registered
718 Posts
this is cool

why? because it's just some guy having fun.

I don't like the element-d because it's just honda jumping on the drifing-is-the-new-cool- thing bandwagon and saying "hey look we can do it too!"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts