ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/automotive/newmodels/36002/

Ever wondered what might result if Honda gave its S2000 the Type-R treatment it reserves for the go-fast versions of its cars in Europe and Japan? Well, you could be about to find out.

The Japanese marque has just confirmed that among the cars on its New York motor show stand in April will be a hotter version of its eight-year-old roadster; it'll be called the S2000 CR and, says Honda, will take the car's performance "to an entirely new level."

Official information on the more hardcore S2000 will be scarce until its unveiling on April 4. All Honda has said about it so far is that it's "club racer-inspired," "aggressively tuned," and has been "engineered around the expectations and needs of Honda performance enthusiasts."

So how is Honda going to achieve the necessary added aggression? Given its preference of high-revving atmospheric engines over forced-induction ones, a turbocharger probably isn't on the cards. It's more likely that the company will apply its latest VTEC valve timing technology to the car's standard 237hp 2.0-liter motor, which, allied to upgraded induction and exhaust systems, should boost headline power up beyond 260hp.

Added to that will be power-to-weight ratio gains achieved through weight saving. Aluminum body panels, aluminum updates to the car's ?X-Bone? body structure, the removal of the car's air conditioning and part of its audio system, and the substitution of leather seats for lighter, manually-adjusted buckets, could save as much as 222lb from the 2800lb curbweight.

All that means that, while the standard S2000 has a power-to-weight ratio of 188hp per ton, this more track-focused one could have as much as 225hp per ton. Special circuit-biased tires, lighter alloy wheels and a stiffer chassis are also racing certainties.

The new S2000 CR is going on sale in the U.S. this autumn.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thank god i'm graduating this May. I might pick one up. I thought they were thinking about releasing a Type R version as well, or could this be it?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
so they'll be going back to the "first gen" s2000 basically?

i thought the S2k has a 2.2 in it right now? oh wait, it does...

where'd they get 2.0 from?

like i said, going back to the first gen cars with more aggressive handling and a 2.0. hahahaa.

this should be cool to see..

oh yeah, i can't believe it's 8 years old..

·
Supporting Member
12,265 Posts
Can't wait for pics. People have speculated on the demise of the S2k since the first year they were released but sales have been steady at 6-7k per year in the USA. So far over 50k sold in USA since 2000 when the car debuted as a celebration of Honda's 50th anniversary. A more sporty S2k is welcome. Now if I could just find the money to buy one.

·
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so they'll be going back to the "first gen" s2000 basically?

i thought the S2k has a 2.2 in it right now? oh wait, it does...

where'd they get 2.0 from?

like i said, going back to the first gen cars with more aggressive handling and a 2.0. hahahaa.

this should be cool to see..

oh yeah, i can't believe it's 8 years old..
If I recall, most of Europe didn't get the 2.2, only the torque-happy Amerlicans complained of having to rev it out. Weak-Sauce.

Going to back to a high-revving, high-compression 2.0 is perfect for a projected under 2500lbs roadster. I can't wait for April 4th!

What if this a cruel April Fool's Day joke?,lol.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
See, they could make this car perfect if this package was:

Hardtop only/no softtop (if they have to keep the sofftop, make it a manual one)
No stereo
No AC
No heavy leather seats.

...and a damned factory oil pressure/oil temp gauge!

FWIW though, I look forward to some of these being wrecked so I can snap up the parts for my own car. :)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yeah, I would love to get my hands on one of these. I wonder if they'll sell well or not... I kinda hope they don't so they can be had cheap.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I bet they won't if my Neon ACR was any clue. Back at that point it was a big grassroots race car kinda thing, and mine sat for over a year on the lot because it dind't have a stereo, or AC (but it did have the only other option it could... rear defrost).

I think they'll sell a bunch to racers, but unless they market the **** out of 'em, they'll languish on lots for not having any options.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I will put money it will have different shocks, thicker front sway bar, stupid little cosmetic things, and........ thats it.
Part of me thinks that, but then I start to think of the Type-R's (Civic, Integra, Accord, NSX) so I wouldn't be surprised if they do one-up the S2000 performance-wise. Shocks, springs, brakes, exhaust, maybe some other stiffeners like a strut tower brace. And then of course, different wheels/tires, interior adornments, etc. etc.

I'm anxious to see more about this :)

·
Supporting Member
12,265 Posts
'bout time someone posted a pic!

AutoWeek said:
Honda S2000 CR
To elevate the S2000's track prowess, Honda introduced the S2000 CR Prototype in New York. Enhancements include aggressive suspension settings, increased body and chassis rigidity and an aerodynamic body kits with large front and rear spoilers to reduce lift. Suspension now features stiffer springs, dampers and thicker anti rollbars. An aluminum hard top takes the place of the power soft top on conventional S2000 models to cut weight by around 90 lbs. A quicker steering ratio, high-performance Bridgestone tires with wider rear tires and a new wheel design round out the performance changes. The CR specific interior features unique cloth seating with yellow stitching, special aluminum shifter knob and faux carbon fiber trim. Air conditioning and stereo system are options. The CR hits dealers in fall.
It seems that very few vehicle manufacturers know how to design a decent looking wheel. Yay for weight savings and more sporty suspension. Boo for lack of proper sport seats.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts