ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
I used to live up north and I would be more paranoid about wind. I left mine out in a torrential FL down pour and had a 27 mile drive to work in the pouring rain with no probs. the only thing I didnt like was the amount of wind picking up the sides. so I am running an experimental slightly lower hood riser at the moment (as of yesturday will see how I like it in the upcoming weeks).

·
Registered
95 Posts
what all are you all using for hood risers? A kit from a certain company, Home Depot gatherings?

·
2,708 Posts
what all are you all using for hood risers? A kit from a certain company, Home Depot gatherings?
If you're too lazy to gather the parts (like me), you can get them at http://miataroadster.com/

I wash my car with the hood risers on and as long you're careful not to have the water jet directly in the engine bay, you'll be alright.

We don't get too much torrential downpours here in SoCal but my car has been through some heavy rains with no problems. I can see some potential problems if there is a LOT of crosswind and rain though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My hood twists significantly when windy even without risers... Looks like Ill have to blend in and keep it where it is :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Anyone have any DIY ideas for a hood riser kit?

They're 10 bucks through miataroadster.com, I know, but I'm cheap and don't wanna wait for shipping

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Anyone have any DIY ideas for a hood riser kit?

They're 10 bucks through miataroadster.com, I know, but I'm cheap and don't wanna wait for shipping
You can get the hardware separatly from anywhere they sell nuts and bolts, like; Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot, Fastenal, etc Would proabaly cost about the same as the kit, minus the shipping. The only way you can really get a good deal is to buy them in bulk, which would cost more than the ready made kit Exhondaman is talking about, that and if you dont wanna source the parts its just easier to get a readymade kit.

Phatty

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
Take out one bolt from the hood/hinge. Goto a hardware store... find a plastic or brass spacer and then a bolt that is long enough to compensate for it. Buy 4 of the spacers and 4 of the longer bolts.

Done.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Take out one bolt from the hood/hinge. Goto a hardware store... find a plastic or brass spacer and then a bolt that is long enough to compensate for it. Buy 4 of the spacers and 4 of the longer bolts.

Done.
I'll try this sometime soon, maybe today.

What about the hoodlatch? any interfenence there? I'd imagine if you raised the back of the hood up, itd put the latch in some sort of bind, but maybe not?

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
It might be a hair off, but on the last honda I used this with, I just loosened the bolts holding the latching mech and moved it a hair to adjust. I forget if the miata one is adjustable or not.

·
Registered
56 Posts
After looking, I think the bolt you are talking about is actually a stud in the hood, so putting washers on will leave only 2-3 threads to hold the nut.

Went to Truevalue hardware and picked up four 14mm couplers/extended nuts to put between the hood and the hinge.

I'll have pics later today.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Isn't there a give and take when doing this mod? I hope it isnt because its MAD JDM

Pro: slightly better cooling at low speeds (city)

Neg: less cooling at higher speeds (highway)

-It also gives clearance to the motor (swaps, huge turbo...etc)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts