ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been toying with this idea for a while now. I know plenty about turbo charging and I know the combo is possible that way. But I got to doodling and came up with this drawing. Is this possible?

[/img]

I updated the doodle now with a Track Dog air to air intercooler.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ya its possible but the question is does the supercharger compliment the irtbs? I would think no. Turbo+irtb would be awesome though.

·
Registered
343 Posts
what would be the point? If you enlcose all of the ITB's, you would have something like an OEM manifold, and your back to square one. You'd probably be better off just having a port and polish job done to your head with the supercharger to allow more air flow.

Like he said.. turbo and ITB might be worth checking into, but im not sure if its been done or not. Might be a reason why its not common.

·
needs a wingman
592 Posts
where's the throttle body on a supercharger? ;) that should be enough to let you figure out why it's not really possible.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Bull. Of course it's possible, and it'd have it's own benefits.

In terms of throttle body location...my brother has a supercharger on his VW Golf, and the set up he has can be run with the throttlebody either before or after the blower.

Also, what's wrong with ITB's with a plenum? Skyline GT-R, Euro E36 M3, E46 M3, they all have ITB's with plenums from the factory, and I'm sure there are more cars with that setup, OEM.

So, supercharger with ITB's would:

a. Look cool as hell
b. Sound insane
c. Have crazy throttle response

I say go for it.

Oh, that's a pretty decent sketch, too, by the way.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for the replies and compliments. I guess the biggest trick would be tuning the whole thing.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
The whole trick is to get as much air into the chamber as quickly and smoothly as possible. Yes, the ITB does this, so with enough R&D and tuning, its possible to get gains out of a setup like this.

But for a lot less money (since you'd have to fab the plenum and spend countless hours at the dyno), you could have the heads done and spend the extra money on other areas which have been proven to provide bigger gains.

If your looking to be different, then by all means do it. It would be bad ass to see and im sure it would be a blast to drive... believe me, im no one to talk anyone out of doing anything outside the box ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
But for a lot less money (since you'd have to fab the plenum and spend countless hours at the dyno), you could have the heads done and spend the extra money on other areas which have been proven to provide bigger gains.
maybe proven gains, but without seeing the gains from the pressurized IRTB setup, you can't prove their bigger.

I think the boosted IRTBs is the way to go for optimizing a turbo setup. Plus it meters the air between cylinders better than an asymmetric manifold would (ie. stock). You can still have the internal bells to keep airflow smooth and youd get better throttle response--if not too much with a small turbo. the GT2554 setups already have problems with boost rushing in as the throttle plate opens.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is all true. I would have to make a Dual Throttle cable of some sort though wouldnt i?

I can tthink of any other way

·
Registered
343 Posts
maybe proven gains, but without seeing the gains from the pressurized IRTB setup, you can't prove their bigger.
Hey, Not saying it won't be fast and Im not saying it won't be bad ass... Do it and post the numbers :) Your all going on theory right now :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there anyone on this thread thats in the miami south florida area that has a hotside supercharger? I have to see one in person to start figuring how im going to work this whole thing.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Since you will have throttles after the SC, youre going to need a BOV on the crossover. A BIG one. otherwise, boost is going to spike huge when you le t off the throttle. That blower will be huffing air all the time, and at idle the air will need somewhere to go as well. The BOV would be venting at that time as well, so expect the system to be fairly loud...all the time. It might even get quieter on throttle!

PM Markp over at miata.net, he has experimented with SC's in front of the throttle, and popped a few IC's doing it with 20psi at idle.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the bov would be fine. I see your point there. However I would only be keeping it at the lowest psi pully.
The main goal of the whole setup would be unmatched throttle response and some hefty comparative torque throughout the rpm range.

·
Registered
261 Posts
only froblem i see with the last drawing is the minifold for the irtbs, 1st it would be more cost efficient witha log type but with the unequal length runners i think you may have one cylinder getting more air than the others, if you like the individual runners i would suggest a equal length design.
my friend is designing throttleboddies for his 300zx twin turbo and so far the outcomes are succesfull

oh and thinking about how someone said it would sound good i dont think you would hear the irtbs... the reason they make that noise is they are open to the air as soon as you enclose them with a supercharger i doubt youll hear them

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok. Equal legnth runners or custom airbox. Which one would be better in this instance?
Individual runners replacing the airhorns altogether kind of like custom header type design wouldnt feed more air into one cylinder would it?

·
Registered
261 Posts
i would bet a airbox to dispurse the air into a controlled "atmosphere" that the itbs could suck on with their own velocitystacks and airhorns to still tune the powerband

1 - 20 of 29 Posts