ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Supporting Member #5522
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so how do i know when i need to replace my lower ball joints? im finely getting my car back together and be for i bolt my ball joints on what do i need to look at. there no rips in the boots but there is a bit of where they fill good and there was no noise when i took them off but i don't know if they need replaced. if i need to replace them what are a few good brands i should look at what should i stay way from. i know oem and Moog are good but what is there. also is it possible to add a zerk fitting to ones that don't have them?

i found a few good thing in this thread but im looking for something more
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=17068&highlight=ebay+ball+joints

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Jack your car up by the pinch welds until the tire is just touching the ground, take a BFScrewdriver or pry bar and jam it under the tire and lever it up while watching the all joints, if there is ANY vertical movement, change them.

It's best to have one person pry and another look at the joints.

While you have the jack under the car, lift it off the ground and grab the wheel at 3 and 9 and shake back and forth, if you have slop, check tie rod ends. Now grab top and bottom and shake, slop is possible bearings.

No pics but I'm a member of the 'oh ****, did the wheel just fall off?" club too.

·
Supporting Member #5522
3,190 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The ones AutoZone sell will do fine, the LLW is a plus. No ebay Chinese $20 units.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts