ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know- one thing I've never been able to figure out is- how do these JDM guys wrap their rollbars so tightly and neatly? It's almost like it's shrinkwrapped onto their or something. Here in the US all I ever see is people uses zip ties and duct tape galore, and it looks like crap.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,622 Posts
Re: I totally agree

freedomgli said:
I asked the same question over at miatadotnet. If anyone can find a source for materials, installation technique, etc. it would be much appreciated.
Maybe they shrink wrap the "conventional" coverings on top of Mt. Fuji :lol:

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Yeah, it does look like a neoprene rubber of some sort. I wonder if they stitch it to around the bar, use adhesive, or velcro. It looks so perfect with minimal wrinkles.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
My padding is held on with black electrical tape. Not as ghetto as it sounds, but it's not anything special like those beautiful J-spec coverings. I tried to do one out of black vinyl once. Gave up in short order.

Neoprene fades quickly in the sun. I learned that in my jeep days.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
And here I thought that pink roll bar wrap was a tribute to cherry blossoms and all things JDM. You've really got to be sure of yourself if you're going to rock pink on a Miata. It was probably once red but exposure to UV turned it into a color favored by Yashio Factory.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I've been rolling around without a passenger seat in my car for the last few months (gives it that hardcore edge). I've been thinking about tossing a hello kitty bean bag in the passenger seat just for kicks but then reality sets in and I realize I'm not willing to accept the liability risk.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,622 Posts
freedomgli said:
I've been rolling around without a passenger seat in my car for the last few months (gives it that hardcore edge). I've been thinking about tossing a hello kitty bean bag in the passenger seat just for kicks but then reality sets in and I realize I'm not willing to accept the liability risk.
Rollin' monopisto is kinda cool, eh? I did it for at least 3 months this fall/winter

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
The rubber tubing that is put on isn't great at doing its job; it doesn't appear to be specific for rollbars. Probably no problem if you wear a helmet. Typically its about 5mm thick, and fairly soft; I guess they must dust the metal tubing before slipping it on.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Bryan said:
Rich...what windblocker are you using? Looks nice :)
Thanks Bryan. I made it a few years back using Keith Tanner's pattern. My dad and I made some brackets to attach it to the cross brace. After putting in the Hard Core bar I cut some slots in the Lexan for Velcro wraps to hold it on.

·
3,542 Posts
freedomgli said:
Yeah, it does look like a neoprene rubber of some sort. I wonder if they stitch it to around the bar, use adhesive, or velcro. It looks so perfect with minimal wrinkles.
Looking at the wrapped Cusco bar my friend has, the tube is wrapped around the bar, with black cloth tape attaching the seams. I'll try to get some pics when I see him. :wink:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Konnichiwa Roadster lovers,

Many JDM Roadster roll bar pad is wrapped by custom hand-work from rubber tube by work shop. They are carefully crafted especially seam with adhesion. Many JDM shop works nice. My friend Ohmichi-san (http://roadsterjdm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=202) said it takes much more time rather than installing roll bar itself. It must be make sure the diameter of the tube to fit roll bar pipe. On the other side, there's some people who prefer rough seam just like as M2-1028. JDM car is required to have pads on roll bar cause of Japanese inspection system every 2 years.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts