ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start by searching for a Hardtop for my 1996 Mazda Miata and was told by a friend to ask the junk yards and to keep checking Craigslist.

I had asked a business on there that had said that they could find everything that I was looking for a Hardtop but had a low budget.

The bottom is what i said while the top is their response..

Is it really that hard to find a used Hardtop for a decent price?

How hard was it to find your Hardtop?

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
You live in ca, there's been like 4 within the past week on cl and here. But I guess you're fucked since you're on a budget. They don't pop up cheap.

·
Murse Magnet
7,743 Posts
Well I waited and waited and waited until I found a decently priced one that someone did not beet me too. I think I had to wait around 5 months or so. I payed 550, but the average price is around 800. There is no 96 hardtop. It is the same from 1990-2005

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You live in ca, there's been like 4 within the past week on cl and here. But I guess you're fucked since you're on a budget. They don't pop up cheap.
Yeah haha Ive seen a few on there for 1k or 900 a piece..

The max I'm willing to spend is about 500-600

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I waited and waited and waited until I found a decently priced one that someone did not beet me too. I think I had to wait around 5 months or so. I payed 550, but the average price is around 800. There is no 96 hardtop. It is the same from 1990-2005
I figured, but I specified what I was driving with the year so that he had an idea of what to look for..

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
Yeah with your price range it'll be very very hard to find one. Just save up a couple hundred more its not that hard

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
You'll have to be patient, lucky, and on top of it when one pops up for that price. It's possible though.
I had all three happen with my first HT. I paid roughly $800 for it. Not even a week later a white defrost top from a '92-93 showed for the same price (9/10) :fp: :cry2: After a year or so of rocking a black top I traded it for Booyakas white one, which happened to match my car's color damn near perfectly. I got lucky both times. You just have to be at the right place at the right time.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
I see them on Craig's all the time. I got mine for $400 and it was in great shape.

·
Registered
184 Posts
heres the thing you have little money but being a college student you have ample time. Since time=money, spend your time looking and waiting till you find one cheap enough to buy. I waited 4 months and got mine for $550 be patient. Or just win the lottery that works too

·
Registered
146 Posts
I got mines for 850 in horrible condition, I was impatience I should have waited. Play the waiting game its best.
Craigslist always pop up some deals, and miata with hardtop and some are willing to sell separately.

·
HellaFunctional
1,120 Posts
Searched for about 6 months. Finally found one for $800. I get there and the thing is beat. Got it for $650. The quote to repair the fiberglass damage and fresh paint was about $100. So for $750 I got a perfect top.

·
Supporting Member
209 Posts
I waited like 6 months for my first top... then I sold the car with it.. now i have another miata and I am still scouring craigslist for another! havent seen one in almost a year. I live in Hawaii though, so it's even more rare.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I found one for free about 8 months after buying the car just had to get it painted to match I was lucky though.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Searched Craigslist for about two months. Finally put up a wanted add, two days later a guy contacted me. Got a black OEM for $800, really great condition. Search Craigslist, forums, and eBay (seen a couple local)... and post wanted ads! I know $800 isn't in your budget, but $600 will have to be a "just posted" type deal and your the first one on top of it, in my opinion.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
For your current price range, have cash ready at all times. Seriously. In the time it can take to contact the seller then get to a bank and THEN go check out the top, it will already be gone. At least that always seems to be the case with cheap hardtops.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't understand waiting for many months to save 2-300 dollars. Break that down to a daily amount and it isn't hard to save that, just don't get your starbucks every morning.

That way you have more leverage in a potential deal, and won't drive 6 hours to find out it is in terrible shape and end up buying it anyway because you're so close after waiting so long.

Definitely keep looking during that time to see if a good deal pops up. It happens, sometimes people don't know what they have. I wouldn't sit on my ass waiting for that scenario though.

Just my .02

EDIT - Since junkyards are in the business of knowing used car part values, I wouldn't waste my time there with a $500 budget. They will research their part values, that is their business. Once they see people asking 800-1200 regularly they aren't going to put one up for $500.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts