ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is kind of a long story so bear with me. My name is Kris, I live in British Columbia, Canada. 4 years ago my family was devastated by the news that my dad, 51 at the time had been diagnosed with cancer in his throat. We stayed positive as he went through radiation and the treatment seemed to go well. After his treatment my dad decided that it was time to pursue a dream he had since he worked at a Mazda dealership in the early 90's. He always wanted a miata but with kids and life getting in the way it was never a practical means of transportation. Not having a lot of money he scoured the classifieds to find a Miata. He found one in his price range in all of bc. The add said "rusty and high kms but runs good. $2300". The only catch was that it was 1000 kms away. Against my mothers best wishes he flew down to pick up the car and drove it back through the twisty mountain roads. By the time he got home was thoroughly in love. He immediately began searching the internet for more info on his new car, he had never seen a Miata with a red leather interior before. Turns out that he had inadvertently bought a 1 of 300 Canadian 93 LE. Too bad it was in such rough shape. The rear wheel wells were rotted out, the back window was torn and falling out, the paint on the spoiler was cracked and falling off and it had been hit in the front end leaving a crack in the front bumper as well as the paint falling off and alignment of the hood, headlights and bumper was terrible. Never the less my dad loved it and made huge plans for its future. He said "Part of the reason I bought this car is because it has cancer too, and we're going to beat it together."
A couple years go by and my dads cancer returned, in his lungs and spine this time. He went for another round of radiation and chemo. It was after this second round that I asked my dad if I could barrow his car for a roadtrip with my wife. I lied, there was no trip. I spent the next 3 day in my shop cutting, grinding, welding and sanding. When I returned the car It had new quarter panels, a straight front end and a brand new brilliant black paint job, just in time for the fathers day show & shine. It was about the 3rd time I can remember me and my dad hugging as adults. We are shop men with grease on our faces and beer in our hands. Hugging wasn't a usual activity. This was the last gift I had the chance to give him unfortunately as he passed away 3 months later. Up until the day before he passed he would talk about how when he got better he was going to find a track and do some autocross in his Miata. I knew that day wasn't coming but he stayed so strong and positive through it all that you couldn't help but have hope. The car is in my possession now but it will always be his car and one day my son will be its caretaker. It is more than a car now, its an heirloom.

·
Registered
475 Posts
That's an awesome story Kris, welcome aboard. Any pics you could post?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a couple. 20180609_084941_1567277426137.jpg this is the before. My dad had spray bombed over most of the rust and polished up best he could. 20180609_121836_1567277536880.jpg this is me welding in the patch panels 20180609_121804_1567277576910.jpg this is my brother who is a service representative at a phone company. Despite his best efforts to help he really only saved me a couple hours of work 15672776946467972212703563825244_1567277730415.jpg and thus is how she sits in my driveway at this very moment. (If I had known shed be photographed I might have given her a bath)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Lookin' good. Mines been on jack stands for about 3 yr. because rust. Replaced passenger rocker panel and all the innards behind rear quarter panel. The work so far has been tedious but nothing scary for me. Ahead lie the sheet metal like your shown doing and that's a bit intimidating. I need to put on my big boy pants and deal with that. lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lookin' good. Mines been on jack stands for about 3 yr. because rust. Replaced passenger rocker panel and all the innards behind rear quarter panel. The work so far has been tedious but nothing scary for me. Ahead lie the sheet metal like your shown doing and that's a bit intimidating. I need to put on my big boy pants and deal with that. lol
Well Ive been a autobody tech for 15 years so its second nature to me now and getting that car done in 3 days was still a daunting task.

·
Registered
475 Posts
perfect avatar mang :icon_cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts