ClubRoadster.net banner

1041 - 1047 of 1047 Posts

·
I will find you. And I will kill you.
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,041
After some problems I have been seeing long term and a little combined research/cogitation, I decided to replace the alternator. Decided upon a NB2 rebuilt unit with 80 amp output (vice the 70 amp of the '00 stocker). Installed that today, while I was underneath I creeped the length of the car while she was running to look for any leaks or out of the ordinary stuff. Nothing presented thankfully. After that was done I went for a drive and did some datalogging. My voltage stayed constant throughout which was good, however I had two alarm lights under different circumstances. After that I sent a message to the Megasquirt builder to pick his brain about what I'm seeing.
 

·
I will find you. And I will kill you.
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,042
Noticed that one of the CEL indicators on my log was the TPS. Checked out Rock Auto and found they had one for $10. I figured WTH, do a little research for the community. Received it and found the connector wouldn't snap locked. Comparing it with the factory TPS I noticed there are two divider pieces there are shorter on the stocker. Here are some blurry pictures that you can maybe see what I am talking about on:

Stock:


Aftermarket:


You are looking for the difference in depth in the dividers between the metal contacts.

I kind of figured since it was so cheap that maybe they got it wrong. Asked for a refund (which was given) and ordered a Walker replacement. That showed up today, wouldn't you know it the damn thing had the same problem for the same reason. Rock Auto didn't have me send the cheap one back, so I decided to see if I could modify it to work. A little Dremel work and voila! Connector snapped home like it should. I then took the Walker unit and did the same thing to it. That is now installed and calibrated on the Megasquirt. Hoping tomorrow clears so I can do a test drive with some data logging.
 

·
I will find you. And I will kill you.
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,043
I have had some problems lately with overheating as seen on my datalogs. Did some troubleshooting, it appeared the primary (driver’s side) fan wasn’t coming on or was running at a reduced speed. Further checks showed the fan ran fine with battery power. I also checked the input from the ECU with the A/C running (so both fans should be on), I had full voltage at the connector. Looking at the connector (a Radio Shack piece) it looked like one of the pieces was out of place which could have caused an issue. Here are what the connectors I used looked like, and the one with the connection out of place:





With that going on I decided to upgrade to more modern connectors as shown:



Purchased from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014IU2EE2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) . They are pretty easy to use, you need to put the seals on the wires before attaching the metal connectors.



There were instructions included showing the orientation of the metal pieces so they will lock correctly into the plastic piece. On the female side there was a red plastic piece that the instructions said you could use or not. I found I couldn’t use them as they wouldn’t allow the metal pieces to snap into place. I ended up cutting some back as shown, then they worked as designed:





When you push the metal pieces into place, you can hear and feel them lock. Pushing the yellow wire seals in place required a little persuasion from a small flat blade screwdriver (I wouldn’t use something as small as a jeweler’s screwdriver as you might end up ripping the seal) but it wasn’t too bad. That’s all done, I’ll see how things work next time out.
 

·
I will find you. And I will kill you.
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,044
I've kind of been chasing my tail with issues. After swapping the fan connectors I again suffered from the cutting out that I thought was being caused by coolant temperature. After letting the car cool some she fired back up normally. I thought about it some more and realized this is what happens when the camshaft angle sensor is failing. So after some research I stopped by the local dealer and ordered a new one. That came today so I got that installed. Before I slapped that bad boy in I compared it to the old one, and found some change. New is on the left.





You can see the differences. Whether or not this will improve performance over the long run time will tell. Another thing that changed is the part number, I got the one listed on Mazda Motorsports' site and it crossed to this one:



Test drive afterwards didn't have any problem, but it was cooler out today so it may not have been a valid test.
 

·
I will find you. And I will kill you.
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,045
Installed the battery quick connection for my Battery Tender since I'm headed back to work soon. Easy job, I put the ring terminals underneath the bolts on the battery connections for good contact. Ran the end forward and up as there is a little opening between the body and the battery cover just made for it. Will take a picture tomorrow. Hoping the weather lets me get at least one more drive in before I go.
 

·
I will find you. And I will kill you.
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,047
So, life intrudes etc. Got my travel arrangements and was busy getting stuff done before leaving, hence I didn't get to post a picture. I did shoot one just before I left because I know many of you need that physical proof.



You can see where the battery connector comes up from the compartment. This is how she sits for the next period of time.
 
1041 - 1047 of 1047 Posts
Top