ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a stock catalytic converter that I picked up for nothing. It had 150k on it and looks good inside. You can see through it and it has no dents. Rusty but the flanges are good. Should I use it or buy a JSC one for 120?

I just want to know if you think it'll blow out soon and what's the average life on a 1993 stock cat. The internet tells me lots of different things like REPLACE IT NOAW! and you're completely fine for the life of the car... This isn't your first bbq, so you tell me what's up.
Thanks.

·
Supporting Member
579 Posts
I recently replaced my OEM Cat on my 96 at around 160k, at that point it had rattling sounds and my mechanic said to replace it. He said the cat was falling apart inside.

Though it required a little "tweaking" to pass smog, it was able to pass. I changed the cat out with the magnaflow version anyways.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
For all I know the cat pulled from my "lazarus" project had 227k+ miles. It was certainly done both visually and performance wise. Car seemed to run much smoother and picked up a bit more pep/response after ditching it.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
The cat on my 97 was falling apart and started to smell wierd at 120k miles. I also got a CEL from it. So I replaced it with the Enthuza metalcore converter (high flow), and it got rid of the smell but I guess flowed too good and I still had the CEL light. haha Oh wells

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Thanks fellas. I was planning on using the cat i got for Emissions/DMV inspection only but i guess it will be good enough for the task at hand. Since it still looks great, it should pass emissions fine i guess.

Then I'll put my cat-less pipe back on.

·
Registered
747 Posts
You'll be fine. I passed NJ emissions with a Magnaflow cat while burning a bunch of oil.

·
Registered
474 Posts
mine still has one life left lol jk

i replaced mine at 160k because it started to fall apart. i replaced it with a fm high flow but realized my whole oem exhaust was ruined because the cats internals got stock inside the canister and was rattleing inside lol i had to replace it

my advice to you is to use it just to pass smog and take it out before it ruins your exaust system lol

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
This took a strange turn..
actually i didn't even think of the cat in a car when i saw the topic.. didn't realize it was in the exhaust section..

i still have the OEM in my 94 at 176k miles.. probably should replace it soon... i may just shove a pipe through it though.. we's in cuntry so i ain't got none Emichions.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Cats should are built to last the life of the car. With that said I havent had a working cat ever lol.

EDIT - it should last the life of the car unless u have some really bad mis firing and alot of extra unburnt fuel burning in the cat. Other than it should last the life time of the car, will it pass smog? thats another question.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts