ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a set of kyb agx's on my 90 currently matched with tokico springs. I would like to go lower and improves the stiffness as well. i was wondering if anyone had any pictures of this setup so i could see what it looks like and how you guys like the setup. Thanks in advance
-Nick

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
AGX suck for lowering beyond like...an inch.

You can lower them all the way down, iirc. But then they'll probably just blow sooner.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just to put this out there as long as we're on the topic of lowering AGXs - just this afternoon, I went from stock 14" daisys to a set of 15x7 +4 Rota RBs with 195/50s. I have Apex (cheapos from Moss) springs over AGXs, and after following this thread, I wasn't expecting much in the way of slammage when I went to have the new wheels put on.

Wow, was I surprised...the clearance in the front (which has not been rolled) is way less than .5", probably closer to less than .25". Naturally, the fronts rub, and I'm going to have to get them rolled in order to run the wheels. Interestingly, dialing up the fronts did absolutely nothing to prevent rubbing, and neither did giving it more camber - I went from stock to -2.5F, -2.0R, 0 toe. I really can't comment on the travel, of course, since I kept on scraping the fender...

On the other hand, the clearance on the rear is perfect at about .5" with absolutely no rubbing issues (even before the alignment). However, the rears are rolled and slightly pulled. The travel seems fine, but then again, it seemed that the fronts were lowered way more than the rears after I installed the shockc/springs.

If anyone's interested, I can post up the hub to fender measurements tomorrow.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
what shock would everyone recommend for high spring rate gc's?
Koni, Bilstein, or have the AGX shock shaft shortened.
Either way, AGX are OEM replacement shocks that are adjustable. They're not made to handle much beyond 250 lb/in springs....which is quite soft, imo.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
umm
Im running my AGX with tops and 450# springs in the front and 275# in the rear. I can tuck my tires but I start to run out of travel at that point. right now Im about 2 inches lower and still have full travel on the shock because of the top mount. the tops lower the car 20mm, and then I lower on the G/C's about another inch... so as far as my shock is concerned its only lowered an inch, and as such have full travel...

also AGX are OEM replacements as much as koni sports are, the Gr2 is the "true" OEM replacement made by KYB...

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
But shock dynos have proven that Koni can handle stiffer springs by a long shot.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to put this out there as long as we're on the topic of lowering AGXs - just this afternoon, I went from stock 14" daisys to a set of 15x7 +4 Rota RBs with 195/50s. I have Apex (cheapos from Moss) springs over AGXs, and after following this thread, I wasn't expecting much in the way of slammage when I went to have the new wheels put on.

Wow, was I surprised...the clearance in the front (which has not been rolled) is way less than .5", probably closer to less than .25". Naturally, the fronts rub, and I'm going to have to get them rolled in order to run the wheels. Interestingly, dialing up the fronts did absolutely nothing to prevent rubbing, and neither did giving it more camber - I went from stock to -2.5F, -2.0R, 0 toe. I really can't comment on the travel, of course, since I kept on scraping the fender...

On the other hand, the clearance on the rear is perfect at about .5" with absolutely no rubbing issues (even before the alignment). However, the rears are rolled and slightly pulled. The travel seems fine, but then again, it seemed that the fronts were lowered way more than the rears after I installed the shockc/springs.

what springs do you have, i was considering putting the rota rb's onto my Na once i got some more money but would like to know more about your suspension. could you possibly take a picture or how it looks? thanks
-Nick

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

what springs do you have, i was considering putting the rota rb's onto my Na once i got some more money but would like to know more about your suspension. could you possibly take a picture or how it looks? thanks
-Nick

·
Registered
204 Posts
Before I get the front fenders rolled tomorrow, I'll be sure and take some pics and post 'em up. As far as the springs, they're "APEX Sport Lowering Springs" - I got 'em new from Moss for $130:

http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=38167

The description says that they're supposed to give you a drop of 30mm, but the fronts seemed to go lower than that.

EDIT: BTW, I spoke with KYB this morning, and they mentioned that KYB does NOT recommend using their shocks on a vehicle dropped more than 1.25".

·
Registered
576 Posts
someone recommended that i use koni race shocks, for the high spring rates i've chosen, but only problem is i drive a 2000 and the koni race only is available for the na, from what i'm understanding the only difference between the na and nb shocks is the top hats, would it fit? how much of a spring rate can bilsteins hold?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
But shock dynos have proven that Koni can handle stiffer springs by a long shot.
konis are better no doubt, but that doesnt mean that agx are oem replacements or that they can only handle 250# springs. thats just **** people made up because they felt like it. I run higher rates, at a lower height than most people think possible.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
someone recommended that i use koni race shocks, for the high spring rates i've chosen, but only problem is i drive a 2000 and the koni race only is available for the na, from what i'm understanding the only difference between the na and nb shocks is the top hats, would it fit? how much of a spring rate can bilsteins hold?
you didnt actually say what rate springs you want to run... I think your going about this backward. decide what offset wheel you want to run, that will determine how much extra rate your probablly going to need more than anything else. then decide how much you can afford. then pick your parts.

at least that what I did. worked out ok for me.

I decided 14x7+0 diamonds. then found out that the FM G/C set was too soft for the extra leverage from the low offset wheels, and too soft in the front specifically. decided to bump up to 450 in the front and move my 275 to the rear. then decided I was running out of room at the height I decided, got top hats to regain a little room. adjusted again. done.

cost?
$280-agx
$250-gc on ebay (can be done cheaper now)
$100-450# GC springs (can be cheaper with a little research)
$200-the chikara tops (als cheaper options)

I spent as much as a set of Tein Basics or somthing better used, so for sure there are better ways to go, but Im pretty pleased with what I have and I think it was worth it to me because I like tinkering.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
konis are better no doubt, but that doesnt mean that agx are oem replacements or that they can only handle 250# springs. thats just **** people made up because they felt like it. I run higher rates, at a lower height than most people think possible.
Made up? NO.
Talk to Shaikh. We've had the conversation a number of times, and he's more educated than I am when it comes to suspension (and I know a lot). KYB AGX cannot handle the rates I want (400/325), which is why I'm going to either sell mine and go Bilstein/sleeves or Stance (even though I prefer 7/6 kg/mm over 8/6).

Btw Sid, I'm not saying you're dumb about this matter, but there is a rather large amount of the Miata community that seems to think the AGX is a great shock and can handle fairly high rates...and it is a good shock, but its not quite as grand as people think.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts