ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im finishing off all the body work for paint tomorrow. Ill post pics of how I did everything when Im finished with everything. And these are the GB flares from a few weeks ago.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Yeah, I molded my flares to the car, too. Used a multiple step process to do it:

1 - bonded the flares to the fender with a special adhesive bonding agent
2 - riveted the flares in place
3 - cut away the fender overhang inside the flare
4 - created a full lap joint behind/inside the flare between the fender and the flare
5 - used body filler to fill in the rivet divots and the seam line.

The resultant flare is very strong. You can grab and shake the car by the flare without any flexing in the flare. They're now truly part of the body.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats about as similar to what im doing as it gets. I used self tapping screws though instead of rivets though. I got alot more sanding tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pics:

Im not finished yet as I havent clearcoted it and I have a few tiny spots to fill and sand but you guys get the Idea

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Wheeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! That's awesome! All that hard work has paid off. I hope they're strong and don't end up cracking like I've seen on so many poorly fit fiberglass body kits. Can either you or Mr. Woolery please explain in more detail how the flares were moulded to the fender and what you did to make it so strong? I get lost at "created a full lap joint behind/inside the flare between the fender and the flare". I know what a lap joint is but I'm still a little confused.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I cant imagine that car being able to ride much lower than that without major rubbing issues. Maybe with some crazy camber though? Like -3.5 'ish or more!

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Wow, once again Leatherface has my favorite Miata. I need to ride in it, damn it.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
write up please! Looks great!!! We'll be twins kinda. Did your flares line up completely flush with the the fender AND the bumper? specifically at the end points?

·
1,213 Posts
wow, that looks almost as good as my tuckin99 N2 flares will look :wink:

ha ha ha ... seriously though, those look the schnitz's fizzle

very well done, they look like a factory fit :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old post, but a dumb question.

When you've molded the fendre flares like that, have you just molded the front and rear bumpers to the fenders and as such, you can no longer take the bumpers off?

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Most excellent bro, you still driving up to the MIATA ONLY car show in Tampa on the 16th? Your car would be a hit for sure!!!

Phatty

1 - 20 of 23 Posts