ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of pics up that people take, just wondering how many of us here do that kinda thing? I have only done like 2 magazine spreads and try to get to some of the big drift events to shoot, like FormulaD and D1 and all that crap.

So, who else?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I am, just a little bit for fun though. I did shoot at HIN seattle for overboost.com and HCI magazine, but that's about it for commercial work from me.

Here's my latest pictures.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Never did any commerical shoots. Hopefully I'll be good enough to get there one day. I need more equipments! I do go to local events and shoot, but it's just for hobby and to show pic to people that can't attend. Somebody hire me!

Nisei Showoff.

Japanese Classic Car Show at Long Beach.

Long Beach Formula D

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I shoot more motorcycles than cars, because of my proximity to Deal's Gap. I haven't been up there this season, though.

Other than that, I would love to do more photography, but between two jobs, a small graphics company and a lot of other projects, I just never can make the time, which is a piss poor excuse.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never did any commerical shoots. Hopefully I'll be good enough to get there one day. I need more equipments! I do go to local events and shoot, but it's just for hobby and to show pic to people that can't attend. Somebody hire me!
#1, have you opened a magazine up lately? you don't have to be good! hah!

#2, bah, equipment, its just a way to waste money. I have bought and sold so much crap in the past 2.5 years and learned one thing, taking better pictures is a lot like going faster in a car, the loose nut behind the wheel is the thing that needs the most work. hah. I still ain't that good. Every time I think I am good my friend who is the editor of a magazine emails me "hey look at these shots from the shoot I did today" and they are amazing and I remember I suck. haha.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Not to thread jack but I have always been interested in photography/Autophotography.

What cameras are you guys using?

And is my Kodak Z7590 a good enough camera to do some stuff?

Last, Why can I still not take pics at night with street lamp light?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A camera is only as good as the photographer. I'm nowhere near as good as my 20D or PZ1-P. I've seen some awesome Lomography, and Lomo cameras are just plain garbage generally.

·
CR.net Supporter
124 Posts
A camera is only as good as the photographer. I'm nowhere near as good as my 20D or PZ1-P. I've seen some awesome Lomography, and Lomo cameras are just plain garbage generally.
Let me tell you, that is so true! That 20D is really hard to take really good pics with. I have a rebel 300D and that is not to bad though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me tell you, that is so true! That 20D is really hard to take really good pics with. I have a rebel 300D and that is not to bad though.
I had a 300D, now have a 20D and 30D, I didn't think the 20D was any easier/harder to shoot with.

And is my Kodak Z7590 a good enough camera to do some stuff?

Last, Why can I still not take pics at night with street lamp light?
Its good enough, but you also have to know its limitations. Night shots are tough because there is very little light reflecting in to the sensor/film. the "iso" rating and f-stop determine that kinda stuff. Usually you have to leave the shutter open for a long long time and have it on a real good tripod to get good night shots, usually using a manual setting. alot of "point and shoot" cameras don't allow manual settings.

sorry, i can get going on camera nerdery real bad. haha.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
My friend takes awesome pics with his point and shoot Ricoh GR Digital which he uses when he doesn't feel like lugging around his Nikon D200. You don't need pro equipment to take great pics but here are some quick tips I can share:
  • Know your camera and how to use all features
  • Read a book on photography like "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson
  • Digital SLR is the way to go if you like to play with lenses and want more control
  • Really fast (like f1.4), prime (fixed zoom) lenses take beautiful shots. 50mm is popular size used for ages on film cameras so many use them w/ DSLR but for DSLR a smaller lens like 24mm or 30mm will probably render a view most like what your naked eye sees.
  • Nearly all pics need some post processing
  • Photoshop cannot make a really bad picture perfect
  • Early AM (<8am) lighting is nicest for taking pics of cars, motorcycles, and other sculptures
  • It's up to the photographer behind the camera to compose the picture frame and pull the trigger at the right time
  • Practice, practice, practice

·
Registered
490 Posts
Freedomgli is spot on. Practice practice practice. That's why I love digital. You can shoot anything all different ways and pick through the results later. I still don't shoot enough I always seem to be working during the best light. Summer will fix that.
I've assisted on a couple Modified shoots, one shoot for Toca 4, and I get some stuff through the agency I work for. Although agency work is pro bono, but the possibility to enter the stuff in award shows makes up for it.

I shoot a Nikon D200 with a kit 18-70 lense most times. But I have a standard 50 1.8, a Sigma 70-300 with macro comes in handy and I just got a 10-20 Sigma which is really cool. Mostly for landscape work though. Working in a studio also means that I get to play in photoshop all the time. Bummer is by the time I'm done at work I don't want to post any of my own images, so these haven't been post processed.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Oh and webba1, low light pics demand a tripod. You can always run the iso up but then you risk a grainy image. But then grain isn't bad if that is the look you're going for. OR a fast lense, i.e. f1.4 will get the job done too but a tripod is cheaper.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I used to be on automotivephotojournalist.com but they went down for an update and haven't yet come back up. That was about a year ago. A photo forum would be nice since there seems to be so many enthusiasts.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I actually think my 20D is easier to use than the 300D. With two wheels to work with, I find myself not having to push as many buttons to get what I want.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is automotivephoto.net. Its a bit slow, but some really talented people there. good to just lurk and learn even. heh.

How many are in SoCal, we should meet up and shoot s drift event or something haha.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts