ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question. How many people have OWNED a miata with a FM turbo kit? If so, are you happy with it? Any problems? 1-10 rating overall maybe? I see a lot of FM bashing on this site and just wanted to know how credible everyone was.

Personally ive owned a 1990 miata with a FM2 kit for 2 years and love it. Previosely the kit was on for about 5 years. Not 1 single problem besides a stupid intercooler hose that gave me problems and i was to cheap to fix, and my link ketpad ribbon needed to be replaced (both cost me a total of $20). I would give it a 9/10, and the only reason why i didnt give it the 10/10 is becuase i dont want to start a flame war.

I also have FM sway bars, FM full exhuast, FM radiator, FM oil cooler/relocation kit, FM upper shock mounts (whole suspention kit), FM brake lines, FM heatshield, and I order everything through them.

This is not a "i can build a turbo kit that makes more power for cheaper" thread so please stop while your ahead. I would just like to know how everyone feels about their FM turbo kit. ..... my motor....

·
Registered
692 Posts
first off ive got to say i dont have an fm turbo kit....
but i helped my stepdad install an fm1 on his 94. he has nothing but good things to say about the kit. all parts were there and the fit and finish are perfect. i wouldnt mind getting one of the new kits for my 96.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I give mine a 9 out of 10 because I have the old kit and my old downpipe cracked on my once, and my old boost solenoid crapped out on me too. Other than that, my car is a turn key terror with NO issues other than the 2 I mentioned. I LOVE IT!

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have the equivalent of the old FM I kit, but purchased from BEGi after the two split. So it's really a BEGi 1.6 Stage 1, and of course I managed to save a few dollars =D>. Being that Corky Bell designed that series of turbo kits (original FM I and FM II) they are great kits and relatively trouble free. I have never had any problems with mine, and the only piece I have ever replaced is the cheap boost gauge that came with the kit. I'd rate it a 9/10 also. I don't have any experience with Flying Miata's new kits, but I hear they are on the cutting edge of new technology.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've got the first gen Voodoo I kit on my car

10/10

NO problems after ~15k miles of abuse, not once single part related to the turbo kit has give me an issue.

But I'm planning on modding my kit with my own DIY IC and who knows what else from there.

I've done DIY turbos before, and man this was so much easier and if I ever need a replacement part I can just order one instead of having to fabricate it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've had my FM II kit for about one year, although I haven't put allot of miles on it as it's not my daily driver. However, I would also give it a 9 out of 10. There are some very minor drivability issues I still need to work out. Other than that, it's a great kit and now that FM and BEGI came out w/ new kits, the old kit can now be "upgraded" w/ some of the new parts. Here is a very recent pic of my engine bay taken by an attendee @ the PR Motorsport tech talk.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/161/356047199_fb569571d0.jpg?v=0

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've had 3 Miata's with FM II's.

I turbo'd my 1999 with an FM II.
My 1990 already had an older FM II when I bought it. I later sold the turbo kit.
Installed an FM II on my wife's 1992 Yellow SE. She didn't like it.
I installed a few FM II kits for my friends.
The power gains they claim are not realistic.

I now run a BRP/SOT Supercharger (my third SC).
IMHO SC's are the easiest way to make good reliable torque.
The SC is running 240 rwhp and it flies, without heating issues and without oil consumption issues.
I recommend the BRP/SOT kit for power. It's drop dead reliable.

I did not like the heat associated with an aftermarket turbo and also never felt 100% about the oil system.

I've been a mechanic since 1990 BTW.
My 2¢.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
corky sure built FM a nice kit.

corky FTMFW.

i like bill cardell, i like ken hill (now his own company: oracle tuning).

keith and jeremy can suck it. they ruined FM imo.

personal experiences are all i have to go on.

corky and stephanie were extremely helpful to me. corky talked to me on the phone, answered all my questions, helped me to get the parts i needed.

i talked to bill on the phone, extremely knowledgeable, courteous, great expereince.

i talked to jeremy on the phone about my link, he was an arrogant prick. i'm GLAD he told me to call ken hill. ken bent over backwards to help me out and he is a top-notch guy. keith is arrogant as well, completely soured me on buying anything from FM in the future.

i met brant at BRP when i still lived in NC. i met him at his shop in greenville because a good friend of mine was buying a kit. the guy knows his stuff. he toalked to us for 2 hours despite his work load. he begged us to drive his cars. the man is a magician and true engineer.

i buy my stuff from people who have a passion for their products, not because of what other people say about them. too many people take anything FM sells as holg grail and it bothers me that they never look into the details themselves.

the FM kits are VERY good, but i improved mine based off stuff i was reading about owners having to fix.

in reality, corky is the zen master of this stuff. you cannot deny his knowledge, experience or passion. if i were buying one new, i'd buy from him.

if i were buying a s/c new, i'd buy from brant. if i were buying a JRSC, i'd buy from joe at r*speed.

·
Speed Tribe OG Member
4,628 Posts
Mine's great and have had no problems with the kit. It's been abused too on the track many times. Kit is about 5 years old.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a FM II(the kit that BEGi designed before the split)and I give it a 9/10 cause there is no such thing as a perfect kit,but the stuff Bell puts out is pretty close.

Kung fu jesus I could not agree with you more about the bad experience and how arrogant Keith and jeremy are when it comes to helping customers.

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
I have several FM part and have just received my LINK which will be installed with a BEGi S3 this winter.

I think the issue you are talking about is not so much of the FM company but how they are treated as "GODS' by some people. If FM makes it, it is the best and I must have one. FM is just another supplier of parts. One thing that I will say if FM sells it they will stand by it. Like any good supplier would.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I installed an FM1 on my old 1995. The instructions that were sent to me were for a 1.6, and there was a significant difference. The pictures in the instructions DID NOT match up to my car and it was very frustrating. No matter how hard I tried, I was never able to get the turbo heat shield to fit and just gave up on it. Overall the install was straightforward, but I did have to call FM a few times for help.
Every time I called it seemed as if they didn't want to talk to me; they always sounded bored and uninterested. After I finished the install the car bogged and needed a major tune-up (something that was not an issue before the install). Since I didn't have the funds to buy a wideband o2 kit after dropping the cash for the turbo, I decided to just send the turbo back. Luckily for me the kit was damaged during shipping and I got all my money back (Always get insurance :p ).
Overall I was dissatisfied with Flyin' Miata as a whole, but I would still do business with them in the future.

<(^^<) (>^^)>

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
So much for this not becoming a typical forced induction religious war.

very few part vendors make all of thier offerings.

BRP didn't (doesn't?) make thier own SC kits or electronics.
Bell doesn't do thier own electronics
FM didn't either. but they appear to make or have made the majority of thier own kit now...

Road cone - its rare I see someone who has owned more forced induction kits for miatas than I have. My hat is off to you.

I personally have had:
FM2 kit with original turbo (Link)
FM2 kit with SBB (AEM)
1 JRSC
and current Boostlogic kit. (Hydra and FM stroker)

I personally am a pretty big fan of Flyin Miata. Their stuff has been extremely reliable, and when it hasn't been, they have supported it. Hell, the first FM2 kit I had had ecu problems a couple years after install, and Ken and Bill spent a ton of time on the phone with me. Oh - and I bought the kit used. I didn't buy it from them.

They build kits that are for the "mainstream" tuner market. If you want something more bleeding edge, then maybe you should only use part of thier offerings. They offer quality and dependability.

I also don't agree with the unrealistic power claims comment. I've always been able to get the power they claimed from thier kits. And I've tuned close to a dozen on the dyno...

The other issue I would point out is the financials of these companies. FM is solid. Has been around for a long time and will continue to be. There always seem to be a couple new players that don't stay in the market long. I know that BRP has been having trouble keeping thier bills current, and have had some issues with keeping thier suppliers happy. hell, even Moss who bought Jackson racing from Oscar Jackson decided to stop paying thier bills for licensing the name. So Oscar now has it back. Not exactly super stable...

Matt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts