ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've ordered some socks with my setup, but I haven't received nor installed it yet.

How are your mikuni's doing for you? I have some 44 mikuni's but decided to go ITB's. I would love to hear your car. Hit me up, I'm LB also.

·
4,436 Posts
I have foamie filters on mine - tried using Piper Cross ones and almost killed the engine with no airfRow.

I prefer to run with nothing and take my chances - I doubt that water will get sucked into your runners....and if so, just drive slow and get home or carry temp rain shield.

Aizawa told me that they run all the time with no filters as long as you do not plan on running on dirt roads, etc.

Without them you can literally hear the air being sucked out of the engine bay:
http://www.thebluepotato.net/movies/irtb1_v1_compress.mov

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
I run my daily driver with the sock filters. I have run the car without them a couple days to see the performance and sound difference, which is definitely noticable.

So, I shouldn't worry about minor dust and/or dirt?

I'd hate for sand to get sucked in my engine!!

What are the immediate and long term dangers of running without the socks/filters?

I have to admit, it's SO much better to run without them!

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
What about panty hose? It's pretty fine, so I would imagine it'd keep out large objects as well as most dust/sand, yet still pretty breathable. One hose itself should be enough, just cut it up and ziptie the ends around the ITB horns.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
I run my daily driver with the sock filters. I have run the car without them a couple days to see the performance and sound difference, which is definitely noticable.

So, I shouldn't worry about minor dust and/or dirt?

I'd hate for sand to get sucked in my engine!!

What are the immediate and long term dangers of running without the socks/filters?

I have to admit, it's SO much better to run without them!
I think bottom line is that you may have no problems running no filter, BUT if you wind up sucking up sand or a pebble and it winds up chewing the insides of your motor up, you might kick yourself for not running filtes.

how is performance and sound noticably different with/without socks?

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
I've been looking at various fine steel meshes. I'm thinking about just taking a piece and sandwiching it between the air horn and manifold. Gives the appearance of being open, but still provides more protection than no filter at all. If I were going to drive any great length (say to MATG or down to Orlando) I'd probably put some sort of more substantial filter on in case there's highway work or rain on the way.

I like that mini undertray, might have to make me one too :mrgreen:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts