ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Wow, I have been through 3 sets. The most expensive ones were 200 and the guy did not know they were hollow, I did not care I just wanted the tires. I would say less than 200 for sure but I'm in CA. I bought and sold all 3 for less than 2 bills.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't pay more than like $150-$200 for these lol. But does the semi-hollow-ness add any value over the typical 7 spoke stockers?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Maybe slightly to Autox guys but if they are really that worried about it they would want a true hollow spoke. For me I don't think there is much more value for the semi.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
How much is fair for semi-hollows? To most they're just another set of wheels. As already mentioned, the buyers looking to save weight will go for the hollow spoke wheels.

I'd say $150 for the set (which is what I paid for minty hollows with r-comps on em...YMMV).

·
Gang-Ban Organizer
2,720 Posts
the semi hollow spokes are the heaviest ones made (12.2lbs) the solid spoke design ones are lighter (11.8lbs) and the hollow spokes are the lightest (10.8lb)

The semi solid spokes like you have are the most common 7 spoke wheel made and fairly worthless...in nice condition with centercaps they can go for as much as $150 for a set.....and that's a perfect set.

On average they sell for $100 a set +/- $25 or so. So $200 at most with those tires. The first half tread is the best part...and inspection stations won't pass a car with 3/32 or less tread...so consider yours have 4-5/32 left....essentially dead tires. :\

·
Registered
910 Posts
^^^ Not sure this is correct. First, I don't understand how the semi hollows could be heaver than the solid spoke? Miata_Racer I know you have a lot of good info, but where did you get these numbers? I have never weighed the wheels, but I have always gone with what is posted on miata.net.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
Don't take those posted weights as gospel. I know, for example, that the 14" BBS aren't the listed weight.
As to what David is saying about the various versions of those wheels, I have a feeling he's either weighed all versions himself or knows someone who has.

·
Gang-Ban Organizer
2,720 Posts
I have weighed all 3 versions...back in 05-06 I weighed them on the UPS scale at my old job (did weights down to the 1/10th of a lb.). I used to autocross in stock class so I had 6 sets of 14x6 wheels for my car at the time...

point being the semi solid spokes are the heaviest and most common despite the name :) but let me check the FAQ to make sure I'm calling them the right name LOL....I have been known fo fail from time to time (all the time if you ask my wife though) :)

Don't take those posted weights as gospel. I know, for example, that the 14" BBS aren't the listed weight.
As to what David is saying about the various versions of those wheels, I have a feeling he's either weighed all versions himself or knows someone who has.
Ok this is why I remember the solid spoke actually weighing less. The inside of the wheel...the only major difference is the semi-solid spoke has the bigger mounting pad...that's where the weight lies IMO...but it's splitting hairs LOL...the semi's and solids are close enough it's more about looks...

semi inside -

solid inside -

1 - 13 of 13 Posts