ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,

We've all seen that guy with the Bad AsS S15 who has killed himself to get a front clip and do a RHD conversion, havent we? It's in all the magazines sooner or later. They never really mention how many hours it took, how much it costs or whether the owner really thought it was worth it, after six months of living with it. Do they? Hell I've even seen a McClaren center drive conversion on a civic of all things!

I did some searches in the forums here and didn't find anything on it. Aside from the fact that I may brain damaged (which is very possible, and very likely :D) Why? Is it that insane to go that route? Most of the Miatas here are truly awesome JDM style cars. Relativley balanced, great lines, low key, well thought out little monsters. Is a JDM RHD Conversion too much JDM?

It would certainly make our cars more hardcore. A little tricky at first but, definately hardcore. No easy way out either. Any Joe Average can just buy a JDM Miata with some time and some extra money, I'm talking Conversion! To a US car so you can look the jack-wipe in the next lane in the eye before you smoke him with your "Eunos" Roadster!

I think it would be pretty cool myself, but I would like to get everyones opinion on this puppy, and maybe we can get together a resource list to do it from right here..

Sound off and speak your minds. Is this Too much JDM? Ithis some hare-brained scheme of cartoon like proportions? Or does this idea rock?

·
Registered
718 Posts
for me, it's a waste of time and effort. too much JDM.

the miata's my only car and I needa be able to pay for my McD's. :D

I'd like to see someone do it just to see how difficult it is and how well it can be done.

·
Sponsor
1,391 Posts
its not too much depending on who you are.
for me it is. mainly because i drove my friend's skyline and disliked being on the other side of the car in north american traffic.
it also depends on weather or not you think it would be worth it to sell your car just import a jdm roadster instead of converting your own.

it would be unique for sure, but your going to have to be the one to decide if it's worth it to you. we can say all sorts of **** to you about it, but you probably already have it in your head! so go for it!

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Being left handed, I find it much more natural (even though I've been driving LHD since I was fairly young) to drive a RHD car. Its wierd, but in my opinion, its nowhere near worth the money/time/effort to cut out one firewall and put in a RHD one just for the look. Not to mention the RHD parts you would need.

Btw, if the guy you speak of had a S15, it would already be RHD. If he had a S14, its a very very easy swap. A number of guys have done it to their 240sx....although I personally see no reason to do so since our country is setup for LHD cars...lol
If you got a heck of a good deal on a Eunos front clip, I would say "go for it" since you have all the parts there for the initial install, minus the dash or maybe steering rack.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'd like to tackle it...... once the car is paid off next year..... for shits and giggles mostly.....

with a front clip.....a good front clip.... there really couldn't be ALL THAT much to do......for someone who is mechanically inclined....

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
An RHD conversion would open up a lot of possibilities for some unique JDM parts - like the Zoom instrument hood, GV meter hood, upholstered hoods from the M2's, RHD floor mats (TONS of varieties from the factory OEM). All the japanese exhaust headers, more room for a turbo manifold without having to worry about hitting the steering column. tower bars with integral brake cylinder brace, full tonneau covers, single sided rollbars, kneepads, triple gauge pod, etc, etc...

Not to mention your right side seat is probably in much better shape than your left side seat ;);)

Having said that though I don't think I'm up to the task of converting to RHD - way, way too much hassle for me.....

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
More or less, you just need to be a good welder to do a RHD conversion. As far as being mechanically inclined....yeah, that would help too...lol

·
CR.net Supporter
324 Posts
What's a front clip? I think it must be an Americano term! :wink:

I think the RHD conversion is a JDM too far! For me, it's like when I see you guys drilling holes in your clean front wing (fender) and inserting the big cheap and nasty side repeater unit to be more JDM. The car looks far better without them, JDM or not.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
If you really want to do it, its not that hard. I know a few Miatas that have been converted to RHD. Nearly all of them suffered electrical gremlins, as you have to hack into the loom. Plus I don't think its entirely straightforward to put in a rhd carpet. They all seem to make do with a lhd carpet and strategically placed car mats (going rhd just to fit a car mat seems a bit extreme to me).

Front clips is a term used here; front clips are also shipped to the UK. Ka Yu used to bring a lot in. Usually they'l buy a cheap Roadster in Japan (not even crashed) and take a cutting torch to it, before shipping it. That way it qualifies for cheaper tax, as parts.

I think all of this has been talked about, very extensively and very recently, on this forum. No need to go over old ground.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
About the only benefit I can see to doing this would be fitting all of the RHD headers that we can't run becasue of the steering column. seems like a lot of work for little benefit.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
show car, yes. anything else. eh.. it's ok.. but honda peeps been doing it for YEARS. so it's old news.

plus, for the amount of money you pay and structural integrity ( you ARE cutting a car in half and re-welding it) you can buy the genuine thing in PA at planet miata. just noticed they have a green one for sale.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Nah, you don't cut the car in half and put the JDM clip on your car. You take all the guts out of it, and transplant them to your unmolested frame. Add a few holes in the firewall, some wiring changes, a few busted knuckles, etc.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Yeah, 240sx guys have been doing it for a while as well.
On every front clip I've ever seen, you get the tranny w/ shifter, gauge cluster, the dash, part of the center console, sometimes the shift knob, and everything else that would commonly be connected to the front half of the car....minus bumpers or fenders usually.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Nah, you don't cut the car in half and put the JDM clip on your car. You take all the guts out of it, and transplant them to your unmolested frame. Add a few holes in the firewall, some wiring changes, a few busted knuckles, etc.
eh. some people do. but a lot i know have swapped firewalls. but then again, hondas could be different. different booster/master cylinder position, clutch cylinder and all that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts