ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, so I've always had an interest for NA Miatas, 2 years to be exact, and I think it is finally time to get one. I've been a Honda guy for about 3 years now, and I think it's time to try something different. I current drive an integra, but I'm going to put her on craigs tonight.

As I was browsing craigslist this past week I've noticed that Miata are going for outrageous prices. KBB values them at around $1800-$2500, and I see people trying to sell them for $4000+.... Kind of a lot huh? I know Miatas have been blowing up lately but still, $4000 dollars? really?

So I need your help/opinions, what do you guys think I should pay?

A few requirements that I would like:

- I believe the 1996-1998 Miatas come with a 1.8 motor which I would prefer.
- Mileage should be around 130,000ish.
- Standard model. I can't stand leather seats.

Also, because I don't want to make another thread, are their any other major difference between the 1989-1995 and the 1996-1998 that I should know about?

Thanks!

Edit: Opps, I meant 94-97 have the 1.8 motor. For some reason wiki states that NA miatas ranged from 1989-1998 on their sidebar. I guess I should have read through it more thoroughly. My bad... And I live in Southern California.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought a clean 95 with 129000 miles for $3,300 in October--with a few upgrades like Borla exhaust, roll bar and new head unit. I did a lot of research and that seems like the going price. Don't expect a clean 1.8 for less than that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The main thing is being patient. I waited and looked for a year and a half before buying my second Miata. Then i found the red '90 I have now; 1990 red with hard top, LSD, no rust, in perfect condition with 83k for $2200 for the original owner. He gave me everything down to every receipt for every oil change since 1990. So, be patient. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, I forgot to add in my previous post, how are miatas with theft? It's horrible living in socal with a semi-fixed up honda...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Also, I forgot to add in my previous post, how are miatas with theft? It's horrible living in socal with a semi-fixed up honda...
Much lower theft rates than Hondas, that's for sure. If you're worried about the soft-top being cut into by a thief, get one with a hard top :)

People still somewhat consider the Miata a "gay" car and mostly stay away from them (pshh, posers), so I'm sure that you'll be fine :p

·
Supporting Member
1,529 Posts
miatas prices have been stupid lately. i spent alot more than i wanted on my miata, but was still doable and im happy with mine. mines is a 90 with 130k miles for 2.5k perfect paint and body. if youre worried about theft, just install a shock sensitive alarm that you can hear from your home. wheels tend to get stolen overnight in people's driveways, or make a kill switch hidden in your car

·
Registered
26 Posts
I picked up my 1990 base model for $2.8k last June. It has 80k miles on it and is completely stock. Mariner blue paint is still shiny with good clearcoat, but the car does have a good number of dings and dents as well as fender and rocker panel rust. Mechanically it is sound, but could use new shocks. I feel like I got a fair (but not excellent) deal and expect I could sell it for what I bought it for. My only regret is not having looked for that rust a bit harder. Oops!

Good luck!

·
Supporting Member
190 Posts
I paid $6k for mine. Completely 100% stock '90 miata with only 23k on the entire thing. Worth it to me in the end but If i were gonna buy another one I wouldnt pay over $3k for anything over 100k.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I think what you plan to do with the car will play a lot into how much you should pay for one.

Is this going to be a car to drive around daily with minimal modification?

Then just keep looking around, paying a premium for one in good shape would be worth it.

Is this a car that you are going to gut and make a track car?

If so, it would make more sense to go out and buy one for cheap. I helped a buddy just a month ago grab a cheap car for like $1400. It runs fine right now, but now he is building a 1.9l bp4w to drop in it. Mechanical condition wasn't so important. His goal for the car is track days. It ain't pretty, but it'll be pretty quick all said and done. He'll probably still have the car running swapped for under $4,500, including new coilovers and wheels, because of careful planning.

Just make some plans and see them through. How much you should pay is totally dependent on the cars purpose and your priorities.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have returned for more answers!

So, I'm still in search for a miata, and I was wondering if it's really worth going for the 1.8 models as opposed to the 1.6 models. It seems much harder finding a 1.8 miata that's in decent condition in my price range.

Also, I know this is thinking way ahead, but I do plan on boosting the miata. My question is how much am I looking to spend for a decent boost kit without messing with the motor internals. I have absolutely no experience with boost so i wouldn't even know where to begin researching. And would I be able to get around 200hp with stock internals?

Sorry for being so knowledge-less, but I'm trying so bare with me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I paid less than 3K for my '94 at 132K miles with a hardtop, aftermarket 15", and hard dog roll bar. Got it in pretty good condition, only had to do minor maintenance (i.e. fluids). Then again...I feel I got a great deal. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Prices are from the Seattle area, where for some reason people like to regularly price their miatas in the 5k range

got my 94 that the previous owner had been setting up for racing for 3400. came with a hardtop, racing beat sway bars, hard dog roll bar, koni yellow shocks, racing beat header and jackson racing exhaust. It was an A package with power steering and power mirrors.

my bro recently got a 94 m edition for $3200 stock. pretty good condition except for a really dirty engine bay, a dented trunk lid (from the inside out). 123k miles, so not too bad for a full loaded car. no hardtop however :(

best time to buy up here is at the end of summer or in the fall obviously because of the rainy season, but if you're in socal, I guess it's not such a big factor. best year is the 94 :) then 95, then obdii NA, and NB. I'd probably only look at a NA6 only if it were really cheap

1 - 20 of 21 Posts