ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was looking for Miata books to buy and stumbled upon this. How to Build a High-performance Mazda Miata Mx-5, It says This product is not yet released, and is expected to ship in 12/2010 (date is subject to change). Is this a new book Keith Tanner is working on? :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yup, and I'm pretty proud of this one. I'm done with my end, we're just waiting for production. It's a good match to the first book - it doesn't tell you how to do things, it's the theory behind it all. Weight transfer, brake proportioning, all that good stuff. It even covers engine swaps and some aero.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
I'll be getting it. Instead of teaching me procedure for certain mods, I would love to learn the logic behind DIY stuff. theory -> practice. Miata Performance Projects should be a prerequisite though.

I wonder if this book is the result of many conversations Keith has had on the phone with customers at FM.. ;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Let's just say it'll help answer a lot of those questions :) Spending all day explaining this sort of thing really does help me write better books. For example, brake proportioning is something that many people don't understand but is really important, so it gets more ink than you might expect. The suspension section goes like this:
Chapter 7: Handling theory (what's going on?)
Chapter 8: Suspension (what everything does)
Chapter 9: Suspension tuning (how to make it do what you want)
..then we get into brakes.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Oh I want to pick this up. Does anyone know if this book has anything on aero development? I know FM is one of the few that has done a lot of research in this area. I'd love to be schooled in that area.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yes, it does cover aero. It's not going to replace a full treatise on the subject, but it'll be enough to get you started.

Table of contents:

• the philosophy of modification (how to build a successful modified car)
  • engine (what`s going on in there?)
  • intake and exhaust (getting air in and out)
  • forced induction (putting your Miata under pressure)
  • fuel and engine management (modern hotrodding)
  • clutch, transmission and rear end (getting the power to the wheels)
  • handling theory (so, just what`s going on when you`re cornering?)
  • suspension (what do all these parts do?)
  • suspension tuning (how do I set all these parts up?)
  • the braking system (make it stop!)
  • wheels and tires (make it stick)
  • body and chassis (chassis rigidity, aerodynamics, weight loss)
  • safety gear (protect yourself)
  • engine swaps (from V8s to rotaries)

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
looks like its worth the read. I might be picking one up after reading the table of contents

1 - 20 of 23 Posts