ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Supporting Member
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm sure most everyone has seen the miata that went under in Said video.

Since this horrible flood is all too local for me I figured I could help out. So I put a Facebook status out asking if anyone knew the owners. Within about 5 min I was in touch with the owners. Come to find out the car was actually stolen and the woman driving was drunk.
The family lost everything including all their cars so I to me this is perfect for me to help.
Yesterday the car finally got to my house! So started getting into immediately.

The car is a 93 and I have a ECU and wiring harness ready. I have the local Mazda Dealer donating some little bits and I'm getting a good bit of maintenance stuff as well.

Gunna start with getting the interior out and getting as much mud out of the car as i can.

This is as my roommate found it heading into work monday.

·
Lonely White Girl
5,739 Posts
Should have saved the dog left the woman. Drunk drivers deserve to drown.

Dry everything out. Don't try and do anything with the electronics until you have dried every harness out. If you short something its going to be a huge pain.

Drain the engine oil. Pull the plugs. Turn it over by hand to get any water out. New oil/coolant.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Wait, for real?
You have that car, now?

What do you even do with a car that was just swimmin in water, man?
Can you do science and turn this thing into a sweet yacht or somethin'

·
Supporting Member
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
<3s Malaking Puwit.
581 Posts
I remember first watching the video and thinking the rescuers made it worse by hitting the quarter panel with the boat. Sucks to find out that the car was stolen and taken on a drunken joy ride.

Thats going to be a lot of work on your hands, good luck.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah man
That's some masochist level stuff

I'd just bin this one and get a new one

But I suppose the purpose behind this is more like, "I'm just bored and want to revive a car with an awesome backstory"

·
Supporting Member
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah man
That's some masochist level stuff

I'd just bin this one and get a new one

But I suppose the purpose behind this is more like, "I'm just bored and want to revive a car with an awesome backstory"
Yes. Im not spending much money on it cause its mostly just getting it cleaned and stuff. Ive spent very little so far.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Right on man
I'd say if you can get it moving under it's own power again, just by cleaning and drying stuff out, then this is a complete success

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have some experience with flood cars, having helped save quite a few under insured antique cars after Hurricane Sandy......

First thing you need to do is flush the fluids from the drivetrain, it's important to get the water out of the motor, trans, rear diff and gas tank/filter/lines, brake and clutch systems, cooling etc ASAP.

Spray all areas with WD40, add oil and new filter, hand crank a few times
do not attempt to ad fuel, or attach a fresh battery at this time

Pull entire interior out of the car and flush with high pressure fresh water, if your have a pressure washer, with a hose for soap, get yourself a gallon jug of Lysol or similar disinfectant. Make sure you get into to the door cavities, behind the seat cavities, dash cavities, etc and so forth. The more you can flush out, the better off you will be in the long run.

Trunk, engine compartment, and bare interior all need to be hosed out (no pressure washer) with fresh water, as the water the car was submerged in was contaminated with raw sewage.

There is no saving the electricals, pull the complete harnesses out of the car and toss them now, same goes for the starter, electric fuel pump, etc. Fresh water or salt water does not matter, if the car spent more than a few minutes submerged, water has found it's way into the harness and it is just a matter of days, weeks, months before it corrodes from the inside out.

Yours is an ambitious project, but not impossible to make happen.

Expect to have to flush the car with fresh water at least three times with disinfectant mixed in at least in a low flush. Beware of getting cuts, beware of getting any near your eyes, mouth, or nose. The toxic fluids can kill you if you do not take this seriously.

Any specific questions, just let me know.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like more work and money than it would be worth.

Watching the video I thought it was odd she was yelling "help I'm trapped".
Drunk and not familiar with a Miata she didn't know to just let the top down and get out.

·
Supporting Member
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have some experience with flood cars, having helped save quite a few under insured antique cars after Hurricane Sandy......

First thing you need to do is flush the fluids from the drivetrain, it's important to get the water out of the motor, trans, rear diff and gas tank/filter/lines, brake and clutch systems, cooling etc ASAP.

Spray all areas with WD40, add oil and new filter, hand crank a few times
do not attempt to ad fuel, or attach a fresh battery at this time

Pull entire interior out of the car and flush with high pressure fresh water, if your have a pressure washer, with a hose for soap, get yourself a gallon jug of Lysol or similar disinfectant. Make sure you get into to the door cavities, behind the seat cavities, dash cavities, etc and so forth. The more you can flush out, the better off you will be in the long run.

Trunk, engine compartment, and bare interior all need to be hosed out (no pressure washer) with fresh water, as the water the car was submerged in was contaminated with raw sewage.

There is no saving the electricals, pull the complete harnesses out of the car and toss them now, same goes for the starter, electric fuel pump, etc. Fresh water or salt water does not matter, if the car spent more than a few minutes submerged, water has found it's way into the harness and it is just a matter of days, weeks, months before it corrodes from the inside out.

Yours is an ambitious project, but not impossible to make happen.

Expect to have to flush the car with fresh water at least three times with disinfectant mixed in at least in a low flush. Beware of getting cuts, beware of getting any near your eyes, mouth, or nose. The toxic fluids can kill you if you do not take this seriously.

Any specific questions, just let me know.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

Thanks so much! Yea, I have a spare harness and ECU. I'm getting all the fluids out tomorrow.

Few Questions.
Will I need to replace the Coil Packs?
Should I worry about water in the intake?(Car was in the water for 2 days)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Wow! Good stuff on prepping a restoration on that car! Can't wait to see your progress because that looks like a pain, lol.

·
Supporting Member
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow! Good stuff on prepping a restoration on that car! Can't wait to see your progress because that looks like a pain, lol.
Man its so damn hot out. Since the car has water it heats up and get crazy humid.

This warms the cockles of my cold heart. Good on ya.
:icon_cheers:

1 - 20 of 176 Posts