ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The muffler on my 99 miata was rattling badly so I removed it today leaving just the stock manifold, cat, and resonator. I like the way it sounds without the muffler and would love to keep a similar setup but there is an annoying buzz from 4500-5500rpms only, it sounds good before and after that. I'm thinking maybe the cat or resonator is causing the ricer-buzz? I have a 4-1 header that i will be installing soon as well, how can I get rid of the buzz without adding a muffler to my system?

·
enormous gay swords.
7,949 Posts
...I hope you realize that when you put your header on, your car will be breaking ear drums. Header + straight pipe = breaking vehicle sound laws.

My buddy has a header and a straight pipe with a resonator and gets pulled over a couple times a month! And thats in Florida! I have a muffler and a header. Mine is still loud but wont make people hate me

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to keep it pretty loud regardless of how the police may feel about it (isn't really an issue here in small-townville, usa), my last car was a mustang gt with o/r h-pipe and single chamber flowmasters w/ turn downs at the back seats, I am no stranger to loud. If the header makes it ear-popping loud i will do something about it. my question is how can i reduce the 4500-5500rpm buzz? would a straight pipe with no res or cat have less buzz? just cat delete? add another resonator? I have done some research but im what you might call a bit ignorant and lacking experience with adjusting exhaust tone.

·
Registered
985 Posts
A resonator will get rid of the raspy sound you're describing. If you don't mind the fart-cannon looks, the TopSpeed is a great sounding exhaust for the money. It's resonated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I kind of don't like the fartcan look, its not really the look I'm going for but the topspeed does sound very nice. I love the 350z exhaust on a 1.8 so if I go back to a muffler I will go that route. I would love to keep it loud and muffler-less, i plan on deleting my cat since it rattles at idol a tiny bit and there is no emission testing here. If i put another resonator where the cat is could that kill the buzz? It would be a 4-1 long tube with a dual resonated cat-less 2.25 pipe.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Just install a straight pipe axleback with or without a tip depending on your preference. You can have this done at your local muffler shop or do it yourself if you have the means/know how. As of recently I have become a fan of turn down tips. The degree of the bend is up to you, I like this style:

Unorthodox tip choice for a Miata but I like it and run one myself. Its motorcyle/hot rod esque and different. People either love this style of tip or hate it. Just my 2 cents. BTW I am running straight pipe axle back with turn down tip and get no rasp at any rpm, just deep growl/burble with a slight "womp womp womp" exhaust note in the mid to high rpms because of the turn down directing exhaust gasses downward to the ground. So also having a turn down gives the car a better exhaust note (subjective).
P.S. As others have mentioned, resonators eliminate/reduce rasp, use em if you need em.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a turn down is something to consider and would be easy to do myself, I am definitely on a budget so that is right up my alley. I will probably get another resonator and see how that sounds. One thing is puzzling me, most people have complained about rasp at 3500rpm-redline. Mine is only 4500-5500rpms, just a smooth rumble before 4500 and a healthy roar after 5500rpms. this is confusing to me, would this make anyone think perhaps something in the res or the cat is vibrating at those rpms and maybe it isn't actually an exhaust note problem? I know a sound clip would help but you could probably imagine...ricer sounding buzz form 4500-5500rpms....

·
Banned
170 Posts
a turn down is something to consider and would be easy to do myself, I am definitely on a budget so that is right up my alley. I will probably get another resonator and see how that sounds. One thing is puzzling me, most people have complained about rasp at 3500rpm-redline. Mine is only 4500-5500rpms, just a smooth rumble before 4500 and a healthy roar after 5500rpms. this is confusing to me, would this make anyone think perhaps something in the res or the cat is vibrating at those rpms and maybe it isn't actually an exhaust note problem? I know a sound clip would help but you could probably imagine...ricer sounding buzz form 4500-5500rpms....
Hmmm just taking a stab at it maybe something is loose? Heatshield/bolts/etc. Just my guess but im puzzled as well, its not like you have no cat/resonator...there really shouldnt be a rasp but as you said it might be something else and not exhaust note.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.