ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday morning, I was hit head-on by a Chevy Blazer, who was turning left in front of my path. I was at the stop sign, waiting to turn right. The old guy turned too early, and popped my bumper right-of-center. He admitted fault to the responding officer, and I went on a little ambulance ride. My car is still drivable, but the upper radiator frame is bent up, and the lower one bent inward. Bumper is folded and cracked, and the crumple plastic is deformed. No airbag was deployed. I strained a lower back muscle, but the doc thinks that there is no other damage.

I was told by my insurance company that I can't file a claim, until the police report is filed, at the earliest, Tuesday. I only have the minimal coverage available by Allstate.

The body was solid, and rust free. I installed a low mileage engine, clutch, flywheel, header, coilover suspension, and had a lot of work in this thing.

Anyways, what I need to know is how do I get an agreeable amount of money for the damage done?
How do I keep them from throwing me a check for a grand, or less, because "the car is 20 years old".

I just need guidance to know how you guys deal with the insurance companies to either get the car fixed, or get a proper value for my car.

·
Registered
229 Posts
In my experience you should make your ins co aware but you can handle the claim entirely through the at fault driver's company to avoid any potential impact on your rates. Don't take their first offer. They should cover all medical bills, any lost time from work, rental fees, tow fees, etc. Do your homework and have real world comprable value figures available in case they try to low ball you. Unlike a claim through your own ins co you should get fair market value for any aftermarket parts, etc. It's their responsibility to make you whole to your satisfaction.

In the event they total the car for that damage DO NOT let them take possession until you've agreed on a value.

If you hit a brick wall you can always fall back on your ins co for the claim and let them go after the other guy's company.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sweet. like I said, I do have time on my side, as the car is drivable. It's just ugly as ****. I can get proof of purchase for everything but the engine, if a paypal history counts as a receipt. From what I have seen, 1990-1993 Miatae with similar or more miles tend to sell for 3500-5500. Yes, my paint was bad, but a lot of these online are much worse. I just want to make sure I do not get dicked over.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The other guy's insurance is handling my claim. I just had the vehicle inspected by their adjuster, and they value my car at $3600. They cut me a repair check for $16xx. I have found a shop willing to do the work, but can't help feeling that I might be better off doing the majority of the work myself. I do not have welding skills/access to a welder, or a frame rack, though.

Should I go ahead and buy what parts they might need to replace off of a miata scrapper, to save a few bucks, or should the body shop provide all of that?

Or should I try to find another cheap miata, even if it is not running, and swap everything over? Then part out the old car.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'd ask a couple of good collision repair places what they'd charge to straighten the radiator support if you bring it to them with the bumper, radiator, etc. already removed. Assuming no other hidden damage is turned up during disassembly you should be able to pick up used white parts and bolt them on pretty easy. Likely have some cash left over for your trouble.

If it makes you feel any better my wife's Forte suffered damage on par with that a couple of weeks back from a raccoon on the highway. As long as the bent AC condenser doesn't start leaking I'm inclined to leave the slightly bent radiator support alone and just replace the bumper and trim bits...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts