ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Tip for those with the Delrin solid motor mounts:

Install one side only then drive the car for a week before you decide whether to go full solid mounts or a hybrid solid/MS mount setup. You'll be surprised how much more rigidity you'll get even from one mount. Better to do half the job than replacing a mount twice because it caused too much vibration.

I know this from personal experience.
i think imma do this, which side you think would benefit the most?

·
Banned
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I started up and "drove" mine today with the mounts in... and all I can say is they're stiff. The motor just will not move, it would rock before... now its rock solid lol. I can't say anything about dash vibes because my dash wasn't in but I can tell you it definately shook a lot more than before. I'd rather have that power going to my wheels instead of lost in drivetrain lash so its all good on my end :D

·
Banned
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Sorry. Too many image views lol.

Just gonna have to wait a few days till its a new month, I think the new month is in a day or two. Its too much of a pain to upload them all again to another account and edit my OP and all. Here is the link to my Miata build PB, just gonna have to view them directly till my bandwidth resets.

http://s791.photobucket.com/albums/yy197/ProtegeDX/Miata%20XD/

·
Banned
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Since I wasn't able to give my review immedately after the installation I apoligize but I took it out for a short ride the other day and I absolutely love these mounts. I honestly have minimal vibes and don't really see much tach needle jumping around at 3k like others had reported. The motor is rock solid, you will never miss 3rd again! The shifting feel and throttle response is much improved... but I don't think I'm the one to ask about interior vibes since my car is completely stripped other than the top half of the dash. The only thing I have that would rattle would be my gauges and the gauge cluster hood. I have the hood down with some silacone and I put some folded up aluminum foil around the backside of my prosport gauges to make them fit tighter in the a/c vents. I definately approve of these on a stripped and race prepped car, I can't speak for a stockish DD though.

I also understand some of you have power steering or A/C compressors that may be in the way for this install but their removal and setting aside should be pretty straight forward. I also think the air box gets in the way... so sorry if I left those details out seeing as I have none of the mentioned items :p

·
Banned
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Are you installing both? I told JC to PM you because he needs mounts too. I think you two should trade and run the combo, I think the both of you would be much happier with it that way.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Well, I'll say this. Motor mount swap is a beast of a job, if the engine is already out. Just took a lot of small adjustments, a whole lot of cursing, and some raw luck to get the first one in. Other than that, they are not absolutely terrible.

At idle, the car sounds like ****, to be honest. The dash and glove box are creaky and loud. It sounds like either bolts will fall out, or the dash will crack in 2. There's a reason that they are nicknamed "panty soakers". For this reason, I would not recommend them to those who spend more time sitting in their car than driving it. When I get the time, I'm going to buy some foam tape, and pad the rattling areas, to quiet it down. I have a feeling that a few well-placed pieces could really help.

When moving, the car sounds great. You can really feel/hear the soul of the car. The engine feels more solid, and responsive. I take this with a grain of salt, as I also installed a header/midpipe/clutch/flywheel/engine and a few other goodies at the same time.

I do not regret installing both mounts. My needles only really dance around at idle,
and it's not that major. My car is going to be 70% daily driver, and 30% autox, once the bugs get worked out. I think these mounts were a good buy.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just got a set of these mounts from MapleK, and I had a few questions. First is there a brand name on these? Second, Jeg did you use that big C shaped washers during the install?

·
Banned
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I don't know the brand name, they were some drifting jellyfish delrin mounts and thats all I know lol. I did not use the washers, I just found the laying around the house and they were the right size so I thought about it but I ended up not using them.

·
Banned
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks, and I have installed some MazdaSpeed mounts on an NB since I wrote this up and it had A/C and PS and all that crap and we were still able to do the swap w/o removing any manifolds although removing the RF wheel really helps.

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
lol thanks, and I have installed some MazdaSpeed mounts on an NB since I wrote this up and it had A/C and PS and all that crap and we were still able to do the swap w/o removing any manifolds although removing the RF wheel really helps.
this is good to know.
where's your write up on diff mounts?
lol

21 - 40 of 63 Posts